Before the Travel

"Hey Albus, what do you think Headmistress McGonagall wishes to speak to me about?"

"I'm not sure," Albus starts, "Maybe it has something to do with your studies? You are at the top of both your, Herbology, Charms AND your Defense Against the Dark Arts class."

"Do you think I might get some points for it?! That would be amazing!" I squeal silently as my voice raises just ever-so-slightly at the thought of actually contributing to my house points in a good way.

"It would be about time too!" Albus joked slightly, gently punching me in the shoulder before continuing. "After all, you've broken the rules so much you've managed to lose your house fifteen points already!"

A heavy sigh escapes my lips as I look down towards my feet, ashamed of the fact that I had lost my house that many points on my own.

"Yeah, I know right?"

I smile sheepishly towards Albus, him happily returning the gesture with a warm smile of his own.

As we come up to Albus' next class, Herbology, we finish our conversation by saying goodbye as I continued my walk to Headmistress McGonagall's office, allowing yet another sigh to creep out from in between my lips.

It wasn't a very long walk, but still longer than it would have been to my next class.

I approach the stairway to her office, take a deep breath, and then proceed up. It takes only a minute or so, but I get up to her door and I knock. The door opens in a rush, clearly a flick of her wand, and I hear her voice almost immediately.

"Hurry in now, (Y/N)!" I pause for a moment, confused. "Quickly, quickly!"

She rushes me inside, me, of course complying.

"What is it you wanted to speak to me about, Headmistress?"

She sighs silently, quickly rushing over to me, proceeding to pull me by my wrist over to her desk.

"I and a few other teachers have gotten talking, and this seems to be the best decision." I crook my head slightly to the right in confusion. "Here."

Headmistress McGonagall carefully pulls out an item from her desk, revealing a gold chained necklace with a large gold ring that held a small hourglass in the middle of it. I recognize it right away from a book I read a while back, she had pulled out a time turner.

"A time turner? Headmistress McGonagall, just what do you intend for me to do?"

A guilty look of shame appears across her aged face as she looks towards me.

"I want you to go back in time." She pauses for only a moment, seeing the look of shock on my face, my eyes widening greatly. "I want you to change Tom Riddle's fate."

"Are you insane?!" I stand up abruptly from the chair that I had come to sit on during the conversation, creating a loud bang as the chair hit the floor. "That would not only change the future as we know it, but that's Voldemort, THE Lord VOLDEMORT!"

Headmistress McGonagall lets out a heavy sigh. "I know that this is risky, but it could save so many lives!" Seemingly unable to maintain eye contact with me anymore, she looks away. "This is the only thing that we can think of." She looks back towards me, a soft, sad look upon her face. "Please, (Y/N), you're our only hope."

Her tone of voice, just ringing with hopelessness, almost catching me off guard. It was at this moment that I realized that I really didn't have a choice. I couldn't allow myself to say no any longer.

"Fine." I look down for a brief moment before looking back up towards her face. "What should I do?"

"It's quite simple actually." Headmistress starts, "You just need to go back in time to 1942, Tom's sixth year, that's where we believe it all started to really go south with him."