Chapter 4: Movie Night

After the waiter walked away, everyone dug into their food. Brody, fortunately for Jessica, decided to join in Mackenzie's and Jason's conversation. Brody, however, desperately wanted to talk to Jessica and that thought stunned him. 

He was never a guy to sit down and get to know a girl. He just used the girls and let them go. He saw how messy love could be at a young age, so he was terrified of love.

He saw the mess his parents were in when they got a divorce. There was a lot of yelling and seven year old Brody was traumatized. the ghosts of his past have haunted him since then. Whenever he sees people in love, he can't help but pity them. He always thinks it is going to end badly. He doesn't know that there is a happily ever after.

For those reasons, he avoids love at all costs. 

If he's not involved with a girl, how can he be in love with her?

Brody was trying to give himself some time and was trying his best to not have anymore conversations with Jessica, for the brunch, at least.

Jessica sat there, listening to their conversations. One second, they were reminiscing when they were younger. They would talk about high school like they didn't just graduate a couple years ago.

Mackenzie tried to include Jessica in the conversation, however, Jessica was lost in her own mind.

She was thinking about her high school experience and how she wished that she could change it.  She wished that she stayed single and lonely. She wished that she went to a different high school overall.

If she did go to a different high school, would she have made true friends?

Would she be broken right now?

Maybe if Liam did-

She was brought out of her thoughts when Mackenzie called her name.

"Yeah?" Jessica whispered.

"Are you ready to go?"

Jessica nodded.

Everyone slid out of the booth.

"Aren't we going to pay?" Jessica asked to no one in particular.

"We already did," came Jason's reply.

Jessica nodded and turned to look at the exit. She stood still as everyone walked ahead of her and headed towards the exit. Jessica followed everyone with her head down.

She couldn't, for the life of her, lift her head for the fear of making eye contact with anyone. She couldn't take the chance of seeing shame shining in their eyes the same way her parents' eyes looked.

That was the look they gave Jessica when they believed Liam more than their own daughter.

That left the worst feeling in the world in the pit of her stomach.

Everyone was now standing outside. They just stood there.

"How about we go and watch a movie? There is this one movie out that I have been dying to watch!" Mackenzie exclaimed.

"Sure, baby."

"Jessica? Brody?" Mackenzie looked at them with puppy dog eyes.

"Sure," Brody said.

All eyes were trained on Jessica, waiting for her answer.

Mackenzie wanted Jessica to come along because she wanted to create a friendship between them two.

Jason only wanted Jessica to come because he could see that Mackenzie desperately wanted her to come. Either way, he didn't really mind as he didn't really know Jessica.