Chapter 10: The Warning

Brody walked Jessica to her door and they stood there, staring at each other. Brody was smiling softly at Jessica and he leaned in, pressing a kiss on Jessica's cheek. Jessica stared at Brody as he did so. He then stepped back and gently took hold of Jessica's hand. 

"You should go inside and sleep. It's late," Brody softly said, stroking Jessica's hand with his thumb.

Jessica nodded in response.

"I'll call you," Brody whispered, raising Jessica's hand and placing a light, feathery kiss on it.

Jessica looked at Brody with eyes full of adoration.

"Okay," Jessica whispered back.

Brody smiled gently at Jessica and gently dropped her hand, starting to walk back to his dorm on the guy's side. He looked back to get a last look of Jessica before he turned the corner. Jessica watched his retreating figure.

She sighed and put her key in the lock. She then turned the door knob and pushed open the door. She walked in to see Mackenzie sitting on her bed, smiling widely up at Jessica. Jessica stopped walking once she saw the look on Mackenzie's face.

"What?" Jessica asks confused.

"You like him," Mackenzie sings.

"Wh-," Jessica starts before realization dawns on her, "Oh!" she exclaims.

"Yeah oh," Mackenzie mocks, "so, what happened?"

Jessica got a giddy smile on her face as she thought of her day.

"We went for a walk after the cafe and he asked me out," Jessica said, whispering the last part.

"He asked you out!" Mackenzie screeched, "well what did you say?" 

"No."

Mackenzie deflated. "Really?" she questioned, all her eagerness gone.

"I'm kidding. I said yes!"

Mackenzie inflated like a balloon and a smile spread across her face. She got off her bed and ran the short distance to Jessica. She hugged her.

"I'm so happy for you," Mackenzie said, whispering into Jessica's hair.

"I'm happy, too," Jessica commented, smiling a soft smile.

Mackenzie pulled away and placed her hands on Jessica's shoulders, keeping her at arms length.

"Awe, look at you. All happy in love," Mackenzie giggled.

Jessica paled. "L-love?" she stuttered out.

"I'm n-not in l-love, Mackenzie. I hardly e-even know him."

"Jessica, sweetie, I'm kidding," Mackenzie said, stating the obvious. 

"I-I know," Jessica said, laughing nervously.

"Are you scared to fall in love?" Mackenzie asked, a frown on her face as she took a step away from Jessica, her hands falling on her sides.

"No," Jessica lied, thinking of Liam and Nicole. The look on her face when everybody she loved turned their backs on her. "W-why w-would I be scared of love?"

Mackenzie's frown deepened at the frightened look on Jessica's face. The look of pain and horror flashed across Jessica's face.

"Jess-" Mackenzie started, but was cut off by Jessica.

"I need to sleep. I have classes tomorrow."

Jessica walked off to the bathroom, leaving Mackenzie shocked at her new discovery.