Chapter 5: The Rejection

Jessica stares at Brody as he leans in. It clicked in her head what he was trying to do.

He was trying to KISS her!

Brody's eyes were closed as he was leaning in.

Jessica freaked out and put her hand up to cover her mouth.

Brody's lips landed on her hand as the lights slowly came back on.

Stunned, his eyes snapped open.

He saw Jessica with her eyes squeezed shut and her hands blocking her mouth. Brody pulled back and watched as Jessica slowly relaxed and her eyes opened.

She quickly stood up and ran out of the theater. Brody was stock still as he tried to process what happened.

He tried to kiss Jessica. Jessica rejected him.

Who wouldn't want to kiss me? Brody thought.

Who wouldn't want to kiss him? He had the looks and the lips.

He has never been rejected before. The fact that Jessica rejected him intrigued him to no end.

He wanted to know why she did. What was going through her mind as she flat out rejected him? Why was she nervous? Has she ever kissed anyone?

Brody slowly stood up and turned to see Mackenzie and Jason looking at him with a confused expression.

"Where did Jessica go?" Mackenzie asked, disappointment lacing her tone.

"I-I don't know," Brody replied, still confused. "She just ran out."

"You didn't run after her!" Mackenzie shrieked.

By now, everyone had cleared out of the theater.

Brody was frozen to the spot.

"Go after her," Jason said.

"Why me?"

"Brody, honey, we see the way you look at her. Go!"

Brody was shocked that they knew about his thoughts on Jessica.

Am I really that transparent, Brody thought.

"GO!" they both yelled at the same time.

Brody turned around and ran out the door that Jessica ran through. He stopped and looked both ways, seeing if Jessica was there.

When he saw that she wasn't, he took off running towards the exit of the building.

Once he exited, he saw Jessica climbing into a car with the Uber sticker.

He stood still as he watched the car drive away. As he was standing, Mackenzie and Jason joined him.

"Did she leave?" Mackenzie asked

"Yeah."

"What even happened?" Jason asked.

"I tried to kiss her."

"You tried to kiss her and she ran away?" Jason asked in disbelief.

"Yeah."

"Why would she . . ." Jason trailed off, shaking his head.

"Guys, don't you see that look in her eyes when she's lost in thought?"

"What look?"

Jason and Brody stood facing Mackenzie to listen to what she had to say.

"That haunted, pained look. The tears that she forces away!"

The boys shook their heads.

"Can't you see! She's been through things. Painful things. Take it easy on her."