Chapter 7: Avoidance

Jessica is woken up by an alarm blaring. She is confused since she knows that she never set an alarm before she went to bed.

The alarm stopped.

Curious, Jessica turned around and opened her eyes. Mackenzie was sitting up in her bed, stretching as a yawn escaped her.

"What's with the alarm?" Jessica croaked out, her voice groggy.

"We start classes today."

"What!" Jessica shrieked, sitting up in her bed.

"Did I forget to tell you?" Mackenzie winced.

"Uh-huh."

"Sorry."

"What time to classes start?"

"It's different depending on your schedule."

Jessica lazily got out of bed, stretching her arms above her head. She walked towards her bag on the floor and pulled out her schedule. Her first class started at ten thirty.

"What time is it?"

"Nine."

Jessica nodded.

"When does your class start?" questioned Jessica.

"Nine forty-five."

Jessica walked towards the small closet and picked out her clothes. She walked back out and laid them out on her bed.

"You can shower first since your class starts first," Jessica said, walking towards her phone.

She picked it up and saw that she had no notifications. She placed her phone back down as she sighed.

"It's okay. I took a shower last night."

Jessica nodded in response, trying to gather her emotions.

"I'm going to get ready and head out. You'll probably be in the shower once I leave."

"O-okay," Jessica's voice broke.

It was silent in the room. Jessica's hand was resting on her phone, clutching it. She picked it back up and brought it to her chest. She sniffled. Shaking away the thoughts that threatened to consume her, Jessica tossed her phone back on her bed, picking up her clothes. She went to her closet and picked up a towel. 

Mackenzie stared at Jessica, worried.

"Are you okay?" Mackenzie asked as Jessica walked to the bathroom.

Jessica nodded.

"Do you want to talk about it?"

"N-no." 

"I'm here if you need me. You can talk to me," Mackenzie urged.

"I-I'm okay," Jessica said, starting to close the bathroom door.

"I know you were hurt. I see it in your eyes. Also, nobody cries the way you did outside our dorm unless they were hurt."

"I SAID I'M OKAY!" Jessica yelled.

Mackenzie flinched back.

Jessica shook her head, sighing as tears gathered in her eyes.

"I-I'm sorry," Jessica whimpered out.

Mackenzie nodded, turning her head away.

Jessica closed the door to the bathroom and locked it, sliding down as her back rested against the door.

the tears spilled down her cheeks. Her hand was on her mouth, muffling her sobs. She didn't want Mackenzie to know she was crying.

Jessica sat there for a while, trying to calm down. Once she stopped crying, she stood up and rubbed her wrists. She looked in the mirror and saw her puffy, red eyes.