Chapter 8: Inevitable

Jessica is frozen in her stop, not wanting to look back at Brody. Her eyes were squeezed shut. She felt as though she was caught doing something wrong.

She was so close to leaving the cafe, but luck is not on her side today. Somebody just had to interrupt her subtle exit.

She slowly opened her eyes and looked up. It was Jason. Jason was the one that caught her.

"Hi," Jessica whispered.

"Why are you whispering?" Jason asked with a smirk.

Jessica shook her head. "No reason."

Brody was done ordering and he looked around the cafe. His eyes stopped as he saw Jessica and Jason. He was delighted that Jessica was there. Now he could talk to her.

He started walking towards them and saw how Jason looked amused. Jason's eyes flicked up and made contact with Brody.

"Brody," Jason said, stepping inside the cafe and closing the door behind him. This meant, of course, that Jessica had to take a couple steps back since she was by the door.

Jessica was tense and would not look back because she knew that Brody was there. Brody continued walking towards them as his eyes kept straying back to look at Jessica.

Jason stepped forward and Jessica kept stepped back as she didn't want to be that close to Jason. Eventually, she came to an abrupt halt as her back hit into Brody's chest. She tensed.

Jason and Brody leaned forward and hugged while patting each other's backs. Jessica was in the middle.

When they separated, Jessica stepped out and took a step towards the door.

"Brody," the barista called. 

Brody sighed and looked at Jessica. He shook his head and walked to the counter to get his coffee and lemon cake. When Brody walked away, Jason grabbed Jessica's arm.He pulled her closer to him and bent down so he could whisper in her ear.

"You're not going anywhere," Jason whispered with malice.

Jessica's eyes widened in response. She struggled in Jason's hold. Jason didn't let her go as he only chuckled. He did, however, let go of her arm when Brody started walking towards them with his order. 

Jessica was shocked and tried to process what just happened. Brody was standing by Jessica, curious as to why she was acting like that.

"Hey," Brody said to Jessica.

Jessica snapped out of her trance. "Hi."

She looked up at Jason and watched as he smirked at her. She was surprised that Jason was that hostile towards her. She was disappointed that he acted that way towards her because he was her friend's boyfriend. She didn't want to hate him, but she was starting to.

"Shall we sit?" Jason asked.

Brody nodded and turned around to spot a table. Once he did, he starting walking over with his back turned to Jason and Jessica. Jessica once again tried to escape, but Jason grabbed her arm.

"To the table."

Jessica struggled, but Jason tugged her arm. She was suddenly standing in front of him and walked as he walked.

Soon they made their way to the table where Brody was standing. Jessica looked at him and he smiled back at her. She averted her eyes.

"So much for avoiding him," Jessica muttered under her breath.

Jason chuckled. "You're terrible at avoiding."

Jessica scowled at the floor in response.

She looked up as they stopped at a table. It was a booth.

"After you," Jason said, gesturing towards the table.

Jessica sighed and slid in. Jason sat at the opposite side at the edge. Brody tried to sit next to him, but Jason refused to move as he smirked.

Finally, Brody gave up and sat next to Jessica. Jessica shifted uncomfortably in her seat. Brody placed his items on the table and sipped his coffee. He slid his cake to Jessica and Jessica looked at him in confusion.

"You can have it," Brody clarified.

"I-it's okay," Jessica responded, shaking her head.

"Please," Brody said, looking at her with puppy dog eyes.

Jessica smiled and giggled, nodding her head. Brody beamed in response.

They sat there, staring at each other. It was magical, the pull they had. Brody reached his hand out and caressed her cheek. Jessica's smile slowly faded as their stare grew deeper.

Jason cleared his throat.

Jessica and Brody both snapped out of their daze. Brody placed his hand in his lap and Jessica turned away.

"Mackenzie wants to meet up. I'm going to go," Jason said, putting his phone back into his pocket as he slid out of the booth.

"I'll catch you later," Jason said, walking away from the two.

"Jessica I-"

Brody was cut off when a random girl sat in the opposite side of the booth right in front of Brody.

"Brody right?" she started.

"Yeah," Brody said hesitantly.

"My friends," she said, pointing in the direction of her friends, "and I made a bet. I just need a kiss from you and I win."

Jessica tensed from the girl's confession. She knew Brody would say yes. That's just who he was. A player. 

Brody turned in the direction and saw two girls sitting at a table watching intently. Brody turned back to look at the girl in front of him. 

"I'm sorry. No, I can't."

Jessica was surprised by his answer. Her head snapped in his direction. Her eyes were wide in shock.

"Why?" the girl asked, looking deflated.

"First of all, I don't know your name and I don't know how you know my name," Brody started, but he was interrupted by the girl sitting in front of him.

"My name is Sienna and I know your name because you are the talk of the school. Besides, it's not like not knowing a girl's name has ever stopped you before."

Jessica turned her head to look at anywhere but at them. Brody realized that Jessica was disappointed. 

"I don't do that anymore," Brody said.

"Why?" Sienna asked again.

"Because I'm trying to prove myself worthy for someone," Brody said, staring at Jessica as he talked.

Brody didn't hear another word Sienna said. He was too focused on Jessica, the most beautiful girl he has ever seen.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How was this chapter?

What do you think about Jason?

Brody?

Sienna?

Jessica?

How are you today?

Is there something you want to talk about?

How is life?

Don't forget to vote.

Also, I have decided to only update this story on Wednesday and Friday. I won't be updating on Sundays anymore because it causes me a lot of stress trying to keep up. I hope you all understand!

Bye my fellow Masqueraders

-Masquerade

Have a good day/night!