I've Just Seen a Face-11

Seeking Peace

The Maharishi's Academy of Transcendental Meditation in Rishikesh was remote and isolated, situated in the foothills of the Himalayas, 150 feet above the River Ganges, mountainous jungles surroundeding the other three sides.

After our long trip which also entailed a tyre change, we all thought we were upon the compound when the car screeched to a halt.

Jane, Maureen, Ringo and I all baulked when we saw what was next. Paul was better at keeping the grimace off his face. The only way to get to the others, and a cold refreshment and rest  was to negotiate a suspension bridge dangling over the mighty fast flowing river. The ferryboats that could have taken us, had all stopped for the day.

"Well that's a relief" Ringo said looking over Maureen's shoulder, nodding solemnly "No camels or elephants allowed!" A sign stating the fact was tacked up next to the entry to the rickety looking bridge

"Let's go, I need a bath" Jane started off to lead the way but Paul wanted to be the brave gentleman so he led the way, behind the guide, of course, who grinned wide and stood waiting for us patiently.

By now I was feeling well under the weather. The heat and stifling humidity, the long flight and my current state of trying to remain sober, had me wound tighter than a spring. I could almost feel my blood boiling, I wanted, no needed, a drink stronger than water but there would be no relief, I had to break through the barrier and reach dry land.

Walking up the last few steps of the mountain side we were buzzing, some (me), more than others. All imaging the greeting party that would be waiting with drinks overflowing with ice, baths drawn, and more ice! All we ended up being met with was a straggly looking cat, three chickens and a peacock. Not one drink in sight.

Guided to the living quarters we got a good look at our surroundings. Six simple stone bungalows set in 2 groups of three flanked a rough dirt track. Once inside we found each bungalow had five self-contained rooms with 2 four poster beds. Toilets and showers were also available much to our delight but we were soon to find out hot water was scarce at times... that is if the pumps hadn't already broken down. Meaning no water at all as was the case currently! No bath!

We all were assigned a bed and I found I would be paired up with Pattie's younger sister, Jenny. The room was a bit stuffy so I opened another window, which overlooked the dense jungle, I shivered at the thought a big cat could be right there, looking at me hungrily.

Wandering back out of the rooms we regrouped and started off towards what was to be our dining room for the next few months. My palms itched, needing that drink.

Pattie ran up quickly and gave each one of us a big hug welcome and a lei made with the flowers from the garden.

"You're here, finally! George has been in deep meditation for 2 whole days and I've been so lonely! Sorry Jenny no offence"