Chapter Three

My weekend was crap, to say the least. Sebastian didn't text or call me the whole time. Part of me wants to be angry at him for not talking this out with me, but I suspect he's embarrassed or worse, ashamed of my actions. My advances had been too much. Maybe, I was too wild.

With that being said, I too ignored almost everyone this weekend. That included Jenny and Micah's texts which I dismissed with one-word replies and lame excuses for why I couldn't hang out. Now I feel guilty about that too. Never before had I ignored my best friends like that, even when I was feeling terrible. Something about what transpired between Ten and me was just different. Maybe because we had our first real fight ever. Other fights were just petty situations like not understanding flirting signals from people or who would get the check at a restaurant.

Monday rolls around and I'm feeling worse than ever even after spending the whole weekend sulking in bed. Usually, I'm hyperactive on an off day, so now my parents are worried. Both chalked it up to 'lady issues' which isn't too far off the mark. Now, I've got a terrible headache after mulling over the situation and shedding a few tears.

I look terrible. For ten minutes, I just stare at myself in the bathroom mirror. My brown, box-dyed hair is lackluster and greasy. Did I forget to shower this whole weekend? My skin looks terrible—sickly and pale—a contrast to my usual fair color. Small, purple bags linger under my eyes. I'll definitely need a good nap after school.

Deciding it can't wait, I take a quick shower, making sure I wash my hair at least two times. I feel better and slightly more awake once the warm water hits my skin. Then, I brush my teeth and hurry to my closet. I'm running late from the shower, so I quickly put on a pair of jeans, a floral tank top and sandals before grabbing my bag to head downstairs.

Catching sight of Sebastian's pickup outside the window, I didn't expect him to be waiting outside for me. We hadn't talked all weekend, so I assumed he would've gone directly to school. I also didn't expect it to be raining as hard as it is. Looking down at my toes, I sigh. There's no time to go back up and change. I can already tell, it'll be a bad day.

Sebastian gets out of the car, holding his jacket up to cover his head. "What the hell, Emie? It's pouring, what are you wearing?"

I don't respond. I don't know how to go about having a normal conversation with him since he had yelled at me on Friday. He can't still be angry, why else would he be here talking to me, right? Or maybe he's tricking me? No, Sebastian wouldn't do that. At least I hope he wouldn't.

"Come on," he says. When he reaches me, he throws his jacket over my shoulders before he runs back to the truck. "Let's go, Emerson."

Jesus, I hadn't heard him use my full name in years. I guess he is still mad. His words kick me out of my reverie. I force my legs to move forward. After I get into the truck, Sebastian closes the door after me. I wait for him to come around to his side.

"Ten?" I ask timidly once he gets in, but he shakes his head.

"Let's just get to school."

A tense silence envelopes us. The ride is filled with the sound of the rain smashing against the car and light pop music playing. The latest upbeat Taylor Swift song is a large contrast to the sullen mood around us. Once we reach the school, Sebastian reaches back and grabs an umbrella. He hands it over to me while simultaneously pulling his jacket off my shoulders.

"We have football practice today," he states before turning the car off and getting out.

That's how he lets me know that he won't be able to drive me home. But the thing is, it's raining cats and dogs. Coach Blake would never let these boys practice in the pouring rain. My throat burns as tears prick at the corners of my eyes. How could my actions have caused this big of a rift?