Chapter Eighteen

*Hello, this is odd. Hah, a note at the beginning, there's also one at the end. I just want to say that I've won 2nd place in the Winter Rose Awards. I was so surprised, but I'm so happy! I also want to say that I'll be joining the watty's 2019 this year. So, that means I'm going to try to get The Beard completed before the deadline to enter is up! Then I'm going to do some editing! Okay, now you can read.*

Miguel Patel is the smarted boy in Elderwood High School. He's never slacked and somehow he's kept a 4.0 GPA since junior year. The word on the gossip mill is that because his parents didn't come from good backgrounds, he wants to be better. Everyone constantly talks about how Mario was born out of wedlock and wasn't accepted by his family. Of course his parents love him. Anyone would've been able to see that from elementary school till now; they're extremely proud of him. But the thing is, Miguel's mother is Spanish, coming from Columbia while his father is Indian though I'm not sure from where.

Supposedly, Miguel's parents had met while they were both in America. Miguel's mom had been here to help her aunt who had just had surgery. Miguel's father was here to achieve better education so that he could make better living situations for his family. They had ran into each other and I believe they had been in New York, though I'm not really sure. But maybe it was love at first sight because they fell in love. Miguel's dad had been arranged to marry an Indian girl who was the daughter to his father's friend. Miguel's grandparents had wanted his mom to help with the aunt then return to help take care of the family.

Now, I'm not sure how true all of this is because it is just gossip. What I do know is that Miguel is one of the very few diverse people in this school and town. I also know that we haven't spoken since we were in the same math and biology class in ninth grade. So it's odd to me to see him placed right next to me.

"Small towns talk a lot, doesn't mean I'm suddenly popular." I point out, turning my head to look over at Miquel.

Miguel is a fair mix of his mother and father. He took after his parents with naturally dark, tan skin. His hair is curly, the strands winding wildly over his forehead. They give him a natural volumized look. Miguel's eyes are a deep, chocolate brown, getting that more from his father. He has trimmed facial hair which I assume is also from his dad. To be fair, Miguel is gorgeous in my own personal opinion, but I know many girls who would disagree.

Miguel raises a thick, bushy eyebrow. A slow, wry smile tugs at his lips. "Oh, but doesn't it? Sebastian Caldwell and Emerson Badgley, the 'it' couple of Elderwood High. You break up and two seconds later the whole school knows. I'd call that popular, wouldn't you?"

I shake my head slowly and start gathering my trash. My eyebrows furrow as my mood drops. "Miguel...I really don't need another person reminding me that the love of my life is no longer mine."

As I go to stand, I glance over to see the smile removed from Miguel's face. A guilty expression replaces the smile and he reaches out for my wrist. I let him grab it, choosing to hear what he has to say rather than just leaving him high and dry. With a sigh, I take my seat again and turn towards him expectantly.

"Listen, Emerson, I know that your grades have dropped some-"

"How?" I cut him off, my tone coming out harsh and unforgiving. I'm quick to rectify that with an apology aimed his way.

"Teachers talk." He shrugs, a sheepish smile now on his face. "I may or may not have also been asked to talk to you and set up a tutoring session. With midterms on the way, your teachers are a bit worried."

I find it odd that no teachers chose to speak to me about this. My grades hadn't seemed so bad to have to acquire a tutor. My plan had been to study hard for the midterm to help boost my grades then focus on school so that when finals approach, I'll be in good standing. Looks like that's no longer the case.