Chapter Thirty-Eight

It was sunny outside, brighter and hotter than it's been in a while. It's understandable since we're well into April. Miguel and I sit side by side on a bench at the park. Our eyes are trained on the pond in front of us, separated by grass and a trail. Birds are chirping and every so often we can hear flapping wings and rusling bushes. It's truly a beautiful day out.

"So you guys leave tonight?" I ask, looking over at Miguel. We had been so quiet for the last five minutes.

When I had arrived at their house, courtesy of my mom, I had gotten a chance to see their empty home. Everything was packed away and they were finishing up the kitchen. It was so odd to see how bare their house was when the first time I had been there, toys were all over the place. Now to see it empty, it was kind of sad.

"Yeah," Miguel answers, nodding his head slowly. "We kind of put the kitchen off so that needs to be done before we go. Once I get back home, I'll help with packing then we'll be off."

"Oh."

We become quiet again, the two of us just sitting calmly. It's hard to believe that we have absolutely nothing to say to each other. Miguel and I had become such good friends, I guess I'm just speechless that he's actually leaving.

"Listen, Emerson," I turn to Miguel as he speaks. With a small smile, I wait patiently for him to continue. "The day I came up to you, the first time we really talked...I have a confession to make."

I raise an eyebrow, my breath hitching in my throat. Lord, please don't let it be something vile or terrible. "Okay, go ahead. Wait! Please tell me it's not something creepy like you've been spying on me."

"Oh, God, no!" Miguel gives me an odd look, shaking his head rapidly. I start laughing at how funny his face looks. His bushy eyebrows are furrowed, but his eyes are still somehow wide. His mouth is agape as he watches me incredulously. Then he starts laughing too.

"Damn," Miguel breathes out, coughing lightly. "I'm really gonna miss you, Emerson. But seriously."

I hold my hands up. That was a nice ice breaker and I'm happy it happened. "Okay, go ahead."

"So, when I said that teachers had wanted me to tutor you," he starts, glancing at me before looking away. "Well, I kind of lied. No teachers had come to me about you."

I raise an eyebrow. Honestly, I'm not feeling really too freaked out. Maybe if it had been someone else who I hadn't gotten close with, I'd be running for the hills, but not with Miguel. I know at the time he had needed a friend and I'm happy that I could be that friend for him, just as he was for me.

"Okay," I nod.

Miguel's head snaps over to me, his eyes wide in surprise. He gives me another look, now confused. "Okay? Just okay? But like...I lied to you."

I shrug my shoulders, giving hima small smile. "Listen, I know both of us were having a rough time for different reasons. Yours was worse than mine and I'm glad we became friends from it, okay? No regrets, no doubts."

Once again, we become silent. We just enjoy each others presence, happy that we at least get this last moment together. I feel like I'm being sappy, too sappy, but it's never easy to lose a close friend. This sounds terrible, but I have a feeling we won't be seeing each other for a very long time. Don't quote me on it, but I can just tell we won't be seeing each other for a very long time.

"So, you and Sebastian?" Miguel breaks the silence again. I glance over at him, gauging how he's acting to make sure there's no malice there.

Nodding, I turn my gaze back to the pond. An acorn falls into the pond, vibrating the water causing small ripples.