Chapter Thirty-Seven

Sebastian and I walk through the halls, hand in hand. Both of us are smiling as he recounts a story Simon had told him. Apparently, the little boy had gotten in trouble for calling his aunt a very nasty word. She had been scared of a spider and Simon had told her not to be...scared, if that makes any sense. To be fair, Simon didn't know that it was a bad word. That kid is really what's innocent in the world.

"He just got a stern talking to, but can you imagine my face when all of a sudden I'm getting yelled at for something I wasn't even there for?" Sebastian shakes his head, a grin on his face.

I laugh with him, just imagining the ten year old calling his aunt out with the most innocent face. "I miss Simon. When is he coming back?"

"This weekend. Did you want to do something? I know he'll be happy to see you." Sebastian looks down at me as we stop at his locker. I lean against the one next to his since no one is really around. It's the end of the day and Sebastian is going to drive me home.

I think about what's happening this weekend. Miguel is moving away and I had promised that I would go and wish his family a safe trip. After that one dinner, I never got a chance to go back over again, especially since Aisha had gotten sick. Since they're leaving so soon, I'm going to go hang out with Miguel before they leave.

"Can't," I tell him, giving him a small, apologetic smile.

Sebastian groans as he pulls biners out of his bag. Since we're basically in the last month of school, we haven't really been getting homework. Prom is actually next weekend and Sebastian and I had decided that we would go together. There was no big gesture of him asking me, just a silent agreement that we wanted to be together during the dance.

"Why?" He shuts his locker before leaning over and kissing me.

I bite my lip and give him a normal smile this time. "Miguel is moving this weekend. I'm going to go and hang out with him."

Sebastian pulls away from me, furrowing his eyebrow. "The same Miguel who likes you?"

My cheeks grow red at his question. Apparently, it had been obvious that Miguel had a crush on me, I'm just oblivious.

"He knows I'm with you, Sebastian. Please do not try to lecture me and give some alpha male speech about being alone with another guy. I don't wanna go for low blows, but Sebastian, need I remind you about Hawaii?" I mumble, crossing my arms. His question had kind of peeved me.

Sebastian frowns, shaking his head. "I'm not trying to do that...but Emie, I just got you back and I don't want to lose you again."

I sigh, looking away from him. "Sebastian, I'm not going to suddenly want to be with Miguel because he's leaving."

But isn't that what I did with Sebastian? I had gotten with him during such a vulnerable time. Quickly, I shake the thought from my head, ridding my mind of it. I won't let myself feel this way, not when Sebastian and I are actually happy and our feelings are actually real. Finally, our relationship isn't based on a little, white lie.

"I know," Sebastian says, shrugging. "I just...I don't know. I'm scared or something."

I furrow my eyebrows before sighing, dropping my arms to my side. This is my problem, I give into him too much. I'm a sucker or Sebastian's sensitivity. To me, it makes things more real, and I'm happy that he's comfortable enough to share his feelings with me. So I go to him and wrap my arms around his midsection.

"Please don't worry." I look up at him, a pout on my face. "Just trust me. Nothing will happen, okay?"

Sebastian smiles down on me and kisses my forehead. "Okay, I'm sorry. Let's get you home now, apparently, we both have some shopping to do."

* * *

"What about the red one? Red looks really good on you," Jenny suggests, holding up a floor-length, red dress.

I scrunch my nose up and shake my head. Jenny and I had decided that we would go prom dress shopping. It's a little late since prom is next week, but all the dresses will be discounted since most schools had theirs the week before. I'm actually kind of excited. Prom had never really been something I was overly interested in, but I guess since this is the last big event before graduation, I can't wait for it. And surprisingly, Micah had decided to join us.

"You should try it." I tell her, meaning my words. The dress would look gorgeous with Jenny's skin tone. "It's pretty form fitting, not what I'm looking for, but I think you can rock it."

"Yeah," Micah speaks up as she sifts through a rack of dresses. "I'm sure Greg will have fun pulling it off of you."

Jenny blinks, her hands slowly reaching for the dress. Jenny and Greg had actually gotten back together a month ago. She had shared with him her feelings and Greg, being the giant teddy bear he is, had understood and forgiven her. It's been them giving lovey-dovey looks to each other since.

I laugh lightly as Jenny heads towards the fitting rooms. I turn to look at Micah and shake my head. The two of them, while still not friends, have surprisingly been getting along. I'm still a middle man and they don't talk unless I initiate it, but there's been no insults and no fighting. Jenny had gotten the courage to apologize to Micah, finally. She told her that it was nothing against Micah personally, but just the effect of seeing something she wished she hadn't. Micah had of course forgiven her, but she was clear that they probably would never be friends. Both are okay with that.

"Got a hot date, Micah?" I ask her as I move to another row of dresses. My gaze shoots to her briefly before looking away.

"It's a surprise." She shrugs, a small smile on her face. I roll my eyes, knowing that Micah will hold this secret with her till the actual dance.

"Whatever," I mutter, failing to hide my own smile. My fingers rub against some tulle material.

Curiously, I pull the bottom of the dress out so I can find where the hanger is. When I do, I grab it from the rack. It turns out to be a two piece dress. The bottom is a little puffy, but not enough to where I'm swallowed in fabric. The skirt is navy blue and the top is neutral; a nice beige. Jewels are covering the top and the bottom of it has a scalloped hem.

This dress is calling out to me. I check the tag and my heart swells when I see that it's my size. Turning to Micah, I hold the dress up and motion towards the fitting rooms.

"Yes, sexy mama," Micah cat calls, grinning at me.

"Hush," I shake my head and head to the fitting rooms. Once I try the dress on, I beam at myself in the mirror and send the color to Sebastian so we can match like all the cutesy couples.

Prom won't be bad after all.

*Hello hello! Oh gosh, I reckon there's about two chapters left. I know I'm really bad at telling when a story will end heh, but seriously. There's like two chapters left. Aw, I feel like crying a little. Anyways, how do you guys feel about Emie and Sebastian being together? Do you think Emie is doing it out of pity, or do you think she feels that way because the timing was off? How about Sebastian? And where's Cody? Please let me know with a comment and don't forget to vote. Thanks so much for reading.*