Chapter Twenty-Four

We all sit around the dining table. The room is like a small addition to the kitchen, there's an open entrance leading from the kitchen. The room is small, but so is the dining table so it doesn't feel cramped. A house plant sits in the corner, a pot placed under the holder to catch any water that falls from the bottom. More photo frames hand on the walls, showing Miguel as a child and Aisha as a toddler.

"Oh, we should properly introduce ourselves," Miguel's mom says, placing her hand on her husband's arm. She turns to me and shoots me a small smile. "So sorry, Emie. My name is Gemma."

I let Gemma's name roll around my head. Rather than Gemma being pronounced with a 'g', it's pronounced with an 'h' making her name sound like Hemma. The name fits her for some reason, maybe it's the way it had rolled off her tongue so casually, but I couldn't imagine any other name on her.

"Ah, yes. My name is Aarav." Miguel's dad speaks next, nodding his head slightly with a small smile. "It is great to meet you, Emie. Thank you for having dinner with us."

"Thank you for having me," I say in return, giving a return smile to both the adults.

Miguel nudges me and shakes his head once I look over. We're sat next to each other on one side with Aarav at the head seat. Aisha and Gemma are on the same side, their chairs close from Aisha wanting to be close to her mom. There's a small smile on my face as I look around the table. I never really had dinners like this with Sebastian's family. Though his mother was nice, his dad not so much and having dinner was an awkward occasion. Not only that, but his parents were often out whether it be for business or pleasure.

"Emie, I hope you don't mind, but we say a prayer before dinner. This doesn't make you uncomfortable does it?" Aarav asks me, his eyebrows furrowed as he looks in concern. I can practically see an apology waiting to come out, but I shake my head.

"No, not at all!" I say, grabbing Miguel's hand and reaching out my other for Gemma, who's across from me, to grab.

After a quick prayer is said, the food is quickly grabbed. Forks are stabbed into the empanadas as we pull from the large platter. I watch as Aisha shifts to climb on her knees, the action getting reprimanded quickly by Gemma. Aarav grabs his food silently, grabbing a papadum, which I had learned is an Indian flatbread. He then piles in some vegetable curry which honestly looks delicious. Miguel has already started shoveling the empanadas into his mouth, sighing and closing his eyes.

He opens them and glances over at me, swallowing what's in his mouth. "Don't be afraid, Emerson. Dig in. Once you see how much Aisha eats, you won't be embarrassed." Miguel teases, glancing over at his little sister who has a frown on her face.

"You're just jealous that my appetite is better than yours. That's what mama says." The little girl replies, turning her nose up at her brother before taking a bit of her papadum.

I finally take a bite and I can honestly say that these empanadas are the most savory I have ever tasted. My taste buds only go as far as an Americanized Colombian restaurant I have been to one time. While that food had been good, it wasn't authentic. Not like the empanadas Gemma had made. The potatoes placed inside compliment the beef so well and it makes me hope I can take some home with me. I try the vegetable curry next, not expecting the small kick of spice I receive. But the heat doesn't minimize the taste, it enhances it so well.

Once I swallow, I set my fork down. "If you don't mind me asking, what is abee?" I ask, hoping I don't look like some ignorant girl.

"Abee is dad in Arabic," Miguel answers, leaning over slightly.

"That means," I start, looking between Aisha and Miguel. "You guys are trilingual? That's amazing. I have a hard time balancing my one foreign language class."