Chapter 22

Dylan

I sit at the bar, sipping on my drink as I wait. Checking my watch, I have five minutes before I'm supposed to meet her. My plan is to let her down easy. I'm through with sending the bitch mixed signals, making her think that there will ever be a chance of me dumping Bay for her. There's only one girl for me. And, right now, she sits at home, wondering what our future holds. Her anxiety is probably through the roof right now. Curious as to what the hell I'm doing, sitting at a bar, waiting for my ex-girlfriend. As if I'm going to, at the last minute, decide that I want her instead of Bay and ride off into the sunset with her or some shit.

The front door opens then, catching my attention as she walks in behind a small group of people, being greeted by one of the employees. The group moves out of the way, long enough for her to see me, heading right for the empty seat at the bar beside me.

She orders a drink. Some feminine fruity cocktail that she likes. Ignoring me for the first few minutes as she settles into the seat. The bartender brings her the drink. She downs half of it before even acknowledging my presence.

"Why'd you ask me to come here, Dylan?" Lucy asks, clearly annoyed that she knows I didn't ask her for another one-time booty call, despite the fact that I am in a committed relationship with someone I love who isn't her. "You've made yourself perfectly clear. You're with Bailey now. And we're done. Message received."

"Yeah, I don't think that's true, Luce. Otherwise you would have left well enough alone and backed off the moment you saw I was with Bay. But, because I know you... you didn't. I've spent the last month or so trying to get you to understand that, while what we had was great, what Bay and I have is nothing like what I had with you. With us, it was mostly sex. Good sex. But there was never any real spark that suggested we were meant to be together. I felt that with Bay the moment I saw her in the casino. Even if neither of us knew it then, it was there."

"You really love her, don't you?" Lucy says, her voice soft and understanding. And, for the first time since all of this started, I can begin to relax a little.

"I really love her, Luce. I've never felt this way about anyone before. I'm just kicking myself in the ass for not realizing it sooner. I love her. And I'm done fucking up my life. I want to settle. And every time I think about my future, she's always there, right beside me. And I know someday, you'll find the right guy for you who will love you as much as I love Bay. It's time we both face reality and accept that we're just not meant to be. I know I have, a long time ago. Now, it's your turn. There's someone out there for you, Luce. It's just not me. Okay?" I plead, begging her to understand that nothing is ever going to happen between us.

"Okay," she manages to say after moments of agonizing silence. Understanding. "You're right. I'm sorry I was so clingy. I can't help it. Can you ever forgive me?"

"As long as you promise never to try and steal away the love of my life again...I think we're mature enough to let it go. Deal?" I ask, holding my hand out to her.

She laughs, holding her drink with one hand, reaching out to shake mine with the other. "Deal."

"Good." I finish my drink, sitting the empty glass on the bar as I stand, depositing a few bills on the bar. "Now, I'm going to go after my girl. And thanks for understanding. It really means a lot to me."

"Good luck." Lucy laughs as I make my way toward the front door, ready to go after my girl and let all of this end once and for all.

***

Bay

"Come on, Mimi, help me with the banner." I tell Mia, already standing on a freaking unsteady step stool as I try to tie off Dad's welcome home banner, struggling to even it out.

"Why are we having this party again?" She asks, stepping on the other stool across from me, taking hold of the other corner as we put it in place. We manage to even it out, with the help of Dylan's guidance.

"A little higher on your end Mia." He instructs, and she raises the banner up about a half-inch.

"How's that?" She asks, looking back at Dylan over her shoulder.

"Great. A little higher, Bay." He says to me and I lift the banner up a bit. "Perfect."

"Hey!" Mia snaps her fingers in Dylan's direction, causing me to whip my head around. Only to see him staring at my ass in his face. "Don't even think about it pretty boy."

I laugh then, stepping down from the stool to examine our work. "Hey, that's my line, bitch."

"Oh don't worry, babe. Mia's just jealous that you have a man to admire your ass and she doesn't." Dylan steps back allowing me to step off the ladder, his hands instantly going around my arms as we examine our work. "On the bright side, the banner looks great."

Of course it does. Mia was a freaking art major and the words "Welcome Home, Dad" are painted perfectly across the banner. Much better than what I would have been able to scribble out on my own without any of her help.

Just then, the alarm tone on my phone beeps. Flashing my five minute warning to when my father is supposed to walk through the front door. I glance out the front window, overlooking the road, searching for any sign of him. But there is only silence, and the occasional sounds of birds chirping in the distance and that weird buzzing sound that occasionally pops up out in the country.

And then, off in the distance, I hear the roar of an engine cruising down the dirt road. A glimmer of hope and excitement sparks as I walk into the living room, looking outside the windows, out at the front lawn, about a half-acre in length. Dad's four door jeep pulling into the driveway. And for a moment, I'm like a little kid, wanting to run to the door waiting to welcome my father home. I remind myself that I am an adult. And there are other people here, not just me.

I watch him step out of the car, and I'm outside before he's managed to set both feet on the ground. Eager to welcome him home.

At the end of the day, I have everything I've ever wanted.

The happy ending I've always yearned for but never thought I'd ever get.

And I wouldn't have it any other way.