Cry Wolf: X

It is strange how when someone experiences an up there will always be someone experiencing a down.

This was true of Regan. While Logan was experiencing his first taste of passion, Regan was on a war path.

"Did the elite squad succeed?" He demanded. His face was twisted in anxiousness.

"The squad was wiped out." The rest of the present Rebels looked at the brave soul with gratefulness. The soul in question felt extremely fearful, having attracted the commander's attention.

The information seemed to calm Regan down. His peaceful eyes seemed far more intimidating when compared to his wrath.

"Prepare yourselves. In two days we shall go to war on the Empire."

~~~

Logan and Lucien's day's were peaceful. It wasn't that Lucien didn't know of the war brewing on the borders, rather he didn't wish to agitate Logan.

Lucien knew that if he mentioned the war, Logan would panic and worry about the Emperor's safety. It was too soon to allow Logan to stress.

And so, when Lucien heard news from his spies about when the Rebels had decided to wage war, he decided to send Logan back to the Capital. Lucien was determined to fight the war on the high ground. He would attack first and not allow the Rebels to catch him off guard. He wouldn't give the Rebels a chance to use Logan in their schemes. He was still suspicious about why Regan was so insistent on getting Logan back.

"Don't worry Logan, this Zhen will join you after clearing away some weeds." Lucien said soothingly as he coaxed Logan into the carriage. Lucian's tone was much more gentle compared to normal.

Logan was suspicious of the Emperor's sudden change in personality. Hadn't this man tied him to his side at any cost? Why was he chasing him out now?

"Lucien, I don't want to leave." He said with a stubborn pout. But before he could put up any resistance, Lucien pressed his pressure points to knock him out. As the wolf beast man collapsed, Lucien gently caught him. His arms carefully wrapping around his amber eyed treasure. He wouldn't let any harm come to his dog!

Lucien turned to the people surrounding the carriage and glaringly said, "I don't want a single hair of his harmed. If anything happens to him..." He didn't need to continue his words for the threat to be heard. He held a sad smile while he watched the carriage get pulled away. He had grown to adore the sullen wolf.

When Logan came to, the sun was about to set and the carriage had been traveling the whole day. In this world he only felt connected to Lucien and so when camp was set up he felt more alone than ever before. He didn't talk or communicate to any of the party, he simply shifted to his wolf form and sat in the camp completely listless. The sounds of the forest kept him submerged in his own world.

"If we bring him back to the Rebels, their commander promised lots of money..."

"Shhh. That mongrel is incredibly strong. We won't have a chance of taking him there if he heard."

"Who cares? We can just drag him there by force!"

"What do you know? That mutt took down several elites before they could sedate him."

Despite Logan's listless appearance, he was still fully aware of his surroundings. His eyes narrowed with suspicion when he picked up the faint words.

He debated. Lucien had sent him away to ensure he wouldn't have a run in with his former "owners". It seemed, though, that the Rebels would still appear where least expected. However at the core of it all, Logan could still be considered as a part of the Rebels. His stance may have changed but the effect of Regan's past actions constantly restrained him. The memories weren't his but he couldn't help the lingering emotions.

He weighed his options. He could either return to the Rebels or he could return to Lucien. It was then that the words finally resonated in his mind. They would drag him there by force? They would get money for him?

He refused to let those bystanders profit off his misfortune.

His resolute decision made his eyes glow. Without another thought he leapt into the cover of the trees. His black fur merging into the darkness. He wasn't sure of the way to get back to Lucien and so he decided to trust his intuition.

Barely a moment had passed since Logan had decided to leave and the camp was thrown into chaos.

"Where is the mutt?"

"Quickly! We need to find him before the Rebels arrive for the trade."

Several loud cries rang in Logan's sensitive ears. The cries egged him into running faster. He ignored the branches snagging at his fur. He ignored the thorns that but into his sides and the brambles pricking his paws.

He solely focused on the feeling of despair. The premonition that Lucien was in trouble and the need to get to him. It was that dread creeping into him that finally forced him into escaping the camp. Nothing that involved the Rebels would end well.

A shiver ran down his spine as he remembered the smile on Regan's face when he shot him. Would that future come to be? Would Regan succeed in overthrowing the dragon emperor?

A.N

So it was a long wait... So it was a short chapter... Apologies 😅. Author-chan started college 😱

So this arc is almost over. I'm quite excited to start working on the next arc. Second arc is called Silence. 👀 Sound mysterious?