CHAPTER SEVEN

Jungkook was in pursuit of the masked man in black

Jungkook was in pursuit of the masked man in black. The man had gotten a head start, but Jungkook's adrenaline was allowing him to catch up quickly. Or maybe it was just his spite fuelling him now that he was pissed the man had gone after Yoongi. Out of all places to be, out of all people to attack, it had to be there and him. Jungkook was fuming.

Both at the fact that someone had to audacity to go after someone Jungkook cared about, and also at Yoongi for even being there and not turning the other way and running like everyone else.

What if Jungkook was even 30 seconds late? Would Yoongi still be here or would he be planning a funeral? He shook his head, get it together Jungkook, your feelings are getting the better of you.

He would worry about Yoongi later, right now he had a madman to catch. The man was almost in reach, and Jungkook was impatient. He shot webbing out of his wrist, thanking god that he was close enough to the man for it to latch onto his back. He immediately pulled the webbing back, causing the man to fly backwards into the parked taxi beside Jungkook, leaving quite a bit dent, but he would feel guilty about that later. He picked the man up by the collar and slammed him against the taxi.

"Alright, dude. What's your beef?" Jungkook said in what he hoped sounded like an intimidating voice. In reality, it probably sounded prepubescent at best. "Why are you running around Queens and using your weird smoke to attack innocent people?"

"None of us are innocent." The man was struggling to get out of Jungkook's grasp, but failing to do so. "And it is not smoke, it's magic."

"Dude, 'none of us are innocent', that's a textbook villain answer, you can do better than that." Jungkook would have rolled his eyes, but he didn't think it looked as effective with his mask. "Okay, so magic smoke. Why are you here, who are you?"

"You ask too many questions, insect, and none of them are the right ones."

"Spiders are arachnids, but I'll let that one slide. I wouldn't be asking so many questions if you weren't avoiding them."

"You'll find out who I am, everyone will know who I am. But, for now, you've been too distracted."

"How have I been dist-"

Before Jungkook could finish his sentence, he was slammed backwards into the building behind him and fell onto the sidewalk. Right, magic smoke hands, idiot.

He picked himself back up, he had been thrown into one too many buildings today, only to see the man had completely disappeared. Jungkook swore internally, frustrated that the man had gotten away. The people Jungkook went after never got away, but again, he hadn't actually fought someone with magic before.

Which made him wonder, if the man could have disappeared that quickly, why did he only run in the first place? Had he wanted Jungkook to catch him? Or did he just want to prove he could get away twice?

Too many questions, and too little answers. Jungkook wasn't sure if the thinking was hurting his brain or if it was the impact his head had with the concrete. Maybe both.

The sun was beginning to set, so Jungkook decided to head home. He would tell Namjoon about the man tomorrow. He'd just have to hope he would lay low for the night. Jungkook was ready to whip through his chemistry homework and go to bed.

Jungkook arrived home in no time, making sure to change out of his suit in the alley behind his apartment complex before going inside. The last thing he needed was his aunt finding out her nephew was a superhero and put himself in danger every day.

He rode the elevator up to his floor and entered his apartment, greeted with the smell of dinner cooking. His aunt was standing by the stove, stirring whatever she was cooking. "Jungkook! You're home earlier than you usually are."

"Yeah, I got everything done so Mr. Kim let me go home." He really hated lying to his aunt, but she worried way too much.

"You're always working so hard, you should take a break every once in a while."

"You know I'm not good with not doing anything. I like to stay busy."

"I know, sweetheart. I just worry about you. Anyway, dinner is almost done, and your friends stopped by, they're in your room."

"Oh, really?" Jungkook tried to keep his surprise to a minimum. It wasn't like he didn't want them here, he just needed to pretend that he hadn't just saved Yoongi from some guy with magic.

"They said that they tried to call you, something about a project."

"Ah, I haven't checked my phone. I'll go see them then."

Okay, Jungkook. You've been with Mr. Kim, you don't know anything about what happened. Act surprised, act worried, don't freak out.

He took a deep breath before opening his bedroom door, here goes nothing. The second he opens the door he's instantly bombarded with Taehyung and Jimin shouting at him

"Jeongguk where in the world have you been? We've been calling and texting you but you haven't been replying!"

"Yoongi was ATTACKED and you don't check your phone? I swear to god I will-"

"GUYS! Can you let Jungkook breathe?" Yoongi shouts. Sitting cross-legged on Jungkook's bed, he looks oddly calm for someone who was almost killed.

Taehyung and Jimin quiet down, letting Jungkook talk. "I haven't checked my phone, I don't keep the sound on when I'm with Mr. Kim, and I didn't check it on my way home. But, what happened? Yoongi, are you okay?"

"I'm okay. I mean I'm not dead so, that's a bonus."

Jungkook walked over to sit beside Yoongi.

"Spider-man saved him!" Jimin says. "It was so cool."

"Spider-man? Really?" Jungkook tried not to smile at Jimin's compliment.

"Yeah, he came out of nowhere and starting fighting the weird guy. You should have been there Jungkook!"

If only they knew.

"I'm glad you're okay, Yoongi, and I'm glad Spider-man was there. So, what happened exactly?"

Yoongi began to tell Jungkook about everything that happened, with the occasional side comment from Taehyung and Jimin. Jungkook did his best to act like he was hearing about this for the first time, and also trying to pay full attention and not focus on how close Yoongi currently was.

He felt ridiculous, he was just in a situation where he could have been killed and here he was, sitting with a racing heart just because the boy he loved was a centimetre away from him. The same boy he could have lost today.

Jungkook wanted to tell him the truth more than anything, but today's close call just made it obvious how much more danger Yoongi could potentially be in if he knew. Maybe one day he would finally tell him, but today wasn't that day. For now, all he wanted was to be here with his friends.

Jungkook wanted, needed, Yoongi in his life. Maybe only being in part of his life was enough for now.