CHAPTER TWENTY ONE

The events of the past few months had officially come to an end, and the boys were free to finally live out their last few weeks of senior year as normal high school students

The events of the past few months had officially come to an end, and the boys were free to finally live out their last few weeks of senior year as normal high school students. With Necro locked up in a facility, facing questioning by professionals trusted by Namjoon, they didn't have to worry about anything but studying, procrastinating and graduation.

Considering the amount of attention and time Necro had taken up in their lives, they were quick to fall back into their normal routine and they couldn't be happier. Late night study sessions were filled with pillow forts, snack wrappers littering the floor, more laughing than studying and the 2am cram session when the realization set in that they hadn't studied a thing. They would give each other pop quizzes while crammed into Yoongi's car on the drive to school, often resulting in Yoongi shouting at them for being too loud, all with a smile on his face of course.

Despite the amount of distractions they had faced, they breezed through exams. The motivation to go back to a sense of normality mixed with needing to keep their grades up for scholarships and acceptance into their chosen schools was enough to get them through despite the events that threw them out of their routine.

It was only until recent when they all shared where they would be going for their start of post-secondary. Taehyung had made the decision to take the year off to both travel and volunteer, not because his family had the means to do so, but because he wanted the time to find who he really was and find what he was passionate about to dedicate a career towards. Jimin would be going to Columbia University to study biological sciences, something he had decided and was striving for since the beginning of his venture at Midtown. They all knew he would achieve his dream, once Jimin set his mind to something, he never stopped reaching for that goal.

Yoongi had been accepted into NYU for journalism on a full-ride scholarship. Jungkook had been elated when Yoongi told him the news, knowing writing was always the thing that Yoongi had the most passion for. He had always been an outlier at Midtown for being passionate for writing and journalism at a school that centred around technology and the sciences, but regardless, he had remained firm in what he loved and Jungkook couldn't be happier for him.

As for Jungkook, he had remained silent on the topic. Not because he didn't know what he was doing, but because he did and didn't want to tell his friends yet. Or at least, wanted Yoongi to know first.

A few days after the final fight with Necro, Jungkook had gone to Namjoon about his worries over the fact that everywhere he had applied to wasn't where he wanted to go and mainly just for the sake of applying. It took only a few minutes of conversation to realize he had been subconsciously limiting himself based on his fear and worry for leaving New York for two reasons — Yoongi and Spider-man.

Yoongi for the obvious reasons, reasons he knew he shouldn't be worried about regarding long distance. He knew they would make it work wherever they ended up, but it was still in the back of Jungkook's head when he only applied to schools in New York. Being Spider-man was the reason he hadn't really processed until the thought of leaving New York set in. He had adapted to being the face of someone who would protect Queens, and if he left, who would?

He didn't expect Yoongi to take his place, he was still trying to figure out the limit of his power and Jungkook wasn't going to put any pressure on him to take over such a role. Though Yoongi wanted to use his powers to help others, he didn't want to do it in such a way that had a spotlight. Like his name, he'd rather remain a shadow and help from the sidelines.

He knew this second worry was him putting too much pressure on himself. There was no written contract that he was bound to, no agreement that he alone was responsible for being the hero of Queens. Jungkook knew deep down, this wasn't his only responsibility. He loved it, he knew he would come back to it at some point, but it was also his responsibility to do what he wanted and to live his life how he dreamed. The past few months only made him realize he wanted an aspect of normal in that life, and a career that wasn't being a superhero was how he wanted to achieve that normal.

So, when Namjoon brought up the idea of going to MIT, it was as if all the puzzle pieces had finally connected to form the big picture Jungkook was looking for. Going to MIT was the perfect fit for him, just like NYU was for Yoongi. He began to ramble and panic over the fact that admissions must be closed this late in the year and how he had missed his chance, but of course, Namjoon being Namjoon had his connections.

Of course, these connections didn't mean he would be guaranteed acceptance, but it allowed him to submit an application to give him the chance. That same day he went home and immediately worked on his submission, and spent the time waiting for a response paralyzed with nerves. The day he got his acceptance, he shamelessly screamed and jumped around his room, which he refused to mention to anybody. He may have done it shamelessly, but it was a secret he would take to his grave.

Namjoon had invited everyone to a get together as a mini celebration for both the Necro incident and for finishing their final year of high school. It was their version of closure for what had happened, without it being something formal. Just hanging out in an expensive building with food and good conversation. Hoseok had announced he had potentially found someone who was boyfriend material, and everyone immediately began to question him to make sure he passed the vibe check.

Jungkook took this as an opportunity to grab Yoongi's hand, nodding his head towards the door so they could find somewhere quiet to talk. He led Yoongi to the door to the roof, somewhere he knew they wouldn't be interrupted. The sky was clear as the sun set on Queens. The air seemed to be clear this high up despite the normal New York pollution, and Jungkook closed his eyes and relished in the feeling.

"I feel an important conversation coming." Yoongi said, breaking Jungkook out of his moment.

"What makes you say that?"

"I feel like every important conversation or moment we have takes place on a rooftop. When I found out you were Spider-man, our first date, and now."

Jungkook chuckled, "I hadn't realized that until now. But, you're right, I do want to talk to you about something." He turned to face Yoongi, expectation written on his face. "I got into MIT."

He was engulfed by Yoongi's body colliding with his and arms wrapping around his neck. "I'm so proud of you! Why didn't you tell me sooner?"

Jungkook went into the story of his doubts, conversation with Namjoon, and how he wanted Yoongi to be the first to know. "I didn't want to say anything until I was completely sure, and I admit, the idea of going to school in Massachusetts while you're here in New York is kind of terrifying, but like you said before, we'll make it work. It's a big step, but I finally know that this is what I want to do."

"You're right, we will make it work. Sure, we'll be hours apart but I have a car, there's public transportation, you best believe every holiday is being spent together, plus we've been friends for way too long. You're not getting rid of me that easily, Jeon Jungkook."

"I've told you before but I can't imagine my life without you in it. Even apart, you'll always be there. All I know is that whatever my future is, I want you in it. Whatever path I choose to go down, I want you walking beside me. Even if our paths separate and we go on our own journeys for a while, I know we'll meet up again eventually. My destination is you, Min Yoongi."

"When did you grow into such a sap?"

"Hey! That was supposed to be profound and romantic!"

Yoongi laughed, standing on his tip toes to kiss his goofball of a boyfriend, "You're right, it was."

As Yoongi rested his head on Jungkook's chest, they both sighed in content as they looked out to the city. No matter the distance, no matter the path, and no matter what they went through, together or apart, they knew they would always make it back home to each other. Their story was only beginning.