Two

For their second session, Vee managed to make it on time. Unlike last time, when her friend Ro asked her to go to join her at her locker, Vee said no. She wasn't going to be late again because she noticed that Amber seemed a bit annoyed last time.

Vee walked into the tutoring center a few minutes after the bell and saw Amber sitting at the same table as last time.

"Hey Viviana," Amber shook her head quickly, "Sorry - Vee."

Vee laughed, "It's fine," She smiled, "I'm not late this time," Vee joked. Amber cracked a smile and nodded in agreement, "Guess what."

"What?"

"I got a 75 on my matrices test!" Vee smiled, showing her teeth, but Amber didn't seem impressed, "This is a good grade for me."

Amber smiled and tried to be supportive, "No, yeah! This is great! I'm happy for you!" Amber cleared her throat, "So . . . what are we working on today?"

"Piecewise functions." Amber made a face, "What?"

"Sorry," Amber rubbed her temple, "I just had war flashbacks."

Vee giggled, "What?"

"Mrs. Kreme last year and piecewise functions was a nightmare for me."

"Oh my god! You had Mrs. Kreme?" Vee almost jumped out of her chair, "Me too! She was the worst!"

"She was genuinely a terrible teacher," Amber shook her head recalling memories of her time with Mrs. Kreme.

"My friend Ro is really good at math, and even she hated that class."

"I don't know how she's still a teacher," Amber sighed, "But we need to start working."

Vee wiped an invisible tear from her eye, "Okay, I'm ready."

Amber opened up her textbook to find practice questions on piecewise functions. The two of them were working on a problem when Amber's phone buzzed. She received a text. While Amber was reading the message, Vee noticed her lockscreen photo.

"Is that you with Niall Horan?" Vee had her hand over her mouth when Amber looked up, smiling shyly.

"Yeah," She giggled, "I went to Ireland a few months ago and met him."

"Lucky you! What was he like?"

Amber put down her pencil and giggled, "He was really nice. He said he liked our accents."

"Our?"

"I went with my best friend, Jinny."

"Fun," Vee flipped her hair over her shoulder, "Back in the day, Harry was my favorite," Vee sighed, "I know, I was basic."

Amber shook her head, "No, I get it. He was my favorite too. I loved his aura."

"I know what you mean. That man was weird, but he was also so calming. It was kinda weird."

"I agree."

"His buns though!" Vee shrieked, "I have a whole folder on my phone dedicated to Harry Styles and his long hair."

"Really?" Amber laughed in surprise, "I love that so much."

"I loved his little ringlets."

"My favorite were the dutch braids."

Vee pointed at her in agreement, "I completely forgot about those! Iconic!"

Amber laughed, "We need to get back to work though."

Vee rolled her eyes playfully, "That's no fun." Amber just shrugged apologetically.

~

Ever since Amber began tutoring Viviana, she's been late to lunch. The tutoring center is all the way in the basement, but her locker is on the third floor and then the cafeteria is back in the basement. It's been almost five minutes since the bell when Amber finally approaches her lunch table. She sits beside Jinny, in her usual seat. Amber is greeted by a chorus of 'hellos' before conversation continues at the table.

"Guess where I'm gonna be this weekend," Bethany singsongs. Bethany's the type to always be on some type of diet and, as of late, she's been trying the Keto Diet for the past few weeks, and today she's eating an interesting looking taco. She claims to have lost ten pounds, but she still looks the same. Besides, Amber knows by next month she'll be on a different diet.

"Hamptons?"

"Poconos?"

"Home?" Juliette joked.

"No," Bethany rolled her eyes, "Trump's coming to town and he's having a rally."

"Is he really?" Emma looked up from her computer, intrigued.

"Yup," Bethany smirked, "My whole family's going."

Everyone quickly began to make plans to join her, but Amber wasn't too sure she wanted to join. She was never a fan of Donald Trump, despite him being the president of choice for most of the people around her. However, she's never actually voiced her opposition to him. She might get disowned.

"Ams? You coming?" Jinny pushed Amber's shoulder.

Amber shook her head, "I don't know if I'll have a ride."

Tracy snorted, "I can drive you."

"Same here," Bethany piped up."

"Me too," Jinny chuckled, "Don't you wanna go?"

Amber pushed out a laugh, "Of course!"