Fourteen

Amber texted Jinny to meet her at their spot. Their 'spot' was under a hidden stairway in the theatre. As freshmen, they would go there during lunch when they didn't feel like being around the girls at their table. That felt like ages ago.

Amber sent the text almost ten minutes ago. Maybe Jinny wasn't not coming. But she was still going to wait a bit longer. This was important.

Eventually, Jinny showed up. Amber was relieved. Jinny still cares.

"What's this about?" Jinny's voice was soft, hopeful.

"I just want to ask you one question," Amber closed her eyes and took a deep breath, "Do you think you'll ever be able to accept that I'm gay, or is our friendship officially over?"

Jinny's face dropped and her brows furrowed, "What? This is what you wanted to ask?"

"I need the closure."

"Closure? No . . . this isn't the end of us, Ams," Jinny rubbed her forehead, "I don't know."

"You don't know what?"

"To answer your question: I don't know."

Amber sighed, "It's a yes or no question. Do you think you'll ever be able to accept that I'm gay?" She just needed an answer. One answer and Amber can finally move on.

"Ams, you know I go to church - you know I believe in God," Jinny looked at her desperately, "You know I cannot accept this."

"Then why did you tell me that you didn't know?"

"Because we're still friends! Since birth! I'm not gonna let you throw that away over some girl!"

"She's my girlfriend! And you're the one who's throwing this away!"

Jinny raised her eyebrows, "You're dating her?"

"Yeah, for a few months actually," Amber calmed down, "That picture was actually taken after I told Viviana that I loved her for the first time."

"What?" Jinny's shoulders dropped, "It's that serious."

"Yeah it is," Amber could feel tears in her eyes, "I don't want to lose you over this."

Jinny had tears in her eyes too, "Me either," She wiped her eye, "But I don't know how to act around gay people - I've never - "

"Treat me how you've always treated me, Jinny," Amber smiled, "Nothing has to change. I don't want anything to change."

"My parents won't like it if we remain friends."

"You're eighteen, Jinny."

Jinny smiled, "I might say the wrong thing sometimes, but I do want to be your friend, We're supposed to be best friends forever."

A tear slipped from Amber's eyes, "I've missed you."

"I've missed you too."