Four

"Oh my god, Amber! I don't care!" Vee shouted, "I just wanna know: did you watch it?" Vee has spent the past few weeks telling Amber to watch Shane Dawson and one of his docuseries, but she still hasn't done it. It's always 'oh I had homework!' or 'I was studying' or 'when I got home I was so tired'. Vee just wants her to watch it.

"No, I haven't," Amber blushed, "They're so long - like half an hour."

"Watch the one he did with Trisha Paytas. It's only like two parts - you'll love it."

"I don't know . . . "

"If you don't watch it, I will literally show up to your house and watch it with you," Vee warned and Amber laughed, "You think I'm joking, but I'm not! I'm so serious!" And she was - mostly. Vee would love a reason to pop up at Amber's house, but she feared it might come off as too creepy. Vee really hopes Amber watches the docuseries.

"Okay, okay. This weekend I'll watch it. I promise."

"Catch me at your house if you don't Ms. Teagan."

"Did you watch what I asked you to?"

"I did actually," Vee smirked, "Brooklyn 99 is now my new favorite show." And Vee actually meant it; she wasn't just trying to impress her. Brooklyn 99 has exactly the type of humor Vee loves, and it makes her feel kind of tingly inside to know that's also the type of humor Amber likes.

"Favorite character?"

"Gina, obviously."

"I knew it! You're such a Gina," Amber nudged her shoulder. That's something that's changed. The past few sessions, rather than sitting across from each other as usual, they've been sitting next to each other. Vee can't say she minds.

"I take that as a compliment," Vee smirked, "And you're a subdued Santiago."

"Really?" Amber giggled, "Does that mean you hate me?"

"I could never," Vee said honestly, "I guess I'm not a Gina."

Amber blushed, "You can be Peralta."

Vee bursted into a smile. Peralta and Santiago were her favorite couple on the show, "I really like that idea."

Suddenly, the bell rang. Amber's eyes widened, "Oh my god! We didn't even start the review sheet!"

Vee put her hand on Amber's shoulder, "It's fine, don't worry."

"No, you have a test tomorrow! And I didn't even get to help you study." Amber seemed genuinely upset.

"If you want, we can facetime after school and work on the worksheet."

"Yes! Let's do that! And we'll actually get work done this time."

"Yes, we will."

~

After school, Viviana had texted Amber to ask if they could facetime around eight o'clock. It was currently five minutes to eight.

Amber was nervous. Facetiming is a big step in a friendship. Amber's never had a friend like Viviana before and she doesn't want to lose her. All of Amber's current friends only care about partying and taking cute Instagram photos. Sometimes she feels like she doesn't really have any friends. Especially now that Jinny has a new boyfriend who takes up all of her time. But Viviana has been a breath of fresh air. She's someone Amber has a genuine connection with. They're not just friends because it looks good on social media.

Amber set up her work materials at her desks and propped her phone up on her phone stand. She was ready. Should she call first?

Eight on the dot, her phone rang. It was Viviana. Amber quickly answered.

"Hey!" She answered brightly.

"Hey," Viviana smiled back, "Nice room."

Amber nodded, "Yeah, I guess." Amber looked at the background of Viviana's screen. She seemed to be sitting on a couch that's sitting against a wall, "Where are you?"

"My basement," Viviana adjusted her phone, "My family's upstairs."

"Okay," Amber nodded, "Guess what."

"Hmm?"

"I watched it."

Viviana perked up, "Really? And?"

"I liked it. I watched the one with Trisha because it was short, like you said. I didn't think I was gonna like it, but it was pretty funny."

"Did you really doubt me?"

Amber laughed, "I was wrong."

"I would tell you to watch the TanaCon one, but that's old news. Watch the Jeffree Star one next."

"You're gonna turn me into a Youtube fanatic."

Viviana rolled her eyes, "You're almost eighteen - you should already be a Youtube fanatic." At that moment, a young voice called out for Viviana. She told Amber to hold on for a second before disappearing for a few minutes. When she returned, Viviana explained that her little brother was hungry.

"Oh. I didn't know you had a brother." Honestly, Amber didn't know much about Viviana's family because she never really thought to ask. That just wasn't the type of stuff they talked about. Their conversations were always very light-hearted and never got too deep.

"Yeah, two and two sisters. All younger."

"I'm an only child."

"And what's that like?" Viviana's tone was joking, but she also seemed genuinely interested in Amber's answer.

"Nothing special. I mean, I'm technically an only child but I've known my friend Jinny since birth so she's kind of like a sister to me."

"Aw, that's actually really sweet," Viviana smiled, "Is that why you guys always go on vacation together?"

Amber nodded, "Yeah, our families are really close."

"I wish I had that," Viviana said solemnly.

"What about you and Rosalyn? Haven't you guys known each other since you were kids?"

"Yeah, but only since like the sixth grade. But we didn't really become close 'til high school because we were the only ones from our middle school to go to Westview," Viviana shrugged, "Besides, we've never been on vacation together and I've only met Ro's parents a handful of times over the past few years."

"Well, I mean you guys seem really close," Amber cleared her throat, "I thought you guys were dating for a little bit."

Viviana's eyes widened in surprise, caught off guard. The two of them have been friends for almost two months now, but Amber has always been hesitant to acknowledge Viviana's sexuality. But she decided to try and bring it up casually to see how Viviana would react.

"Um, no?" Viviana laughed nervously, "Ro's pretty straight."

"Unlike you, right?" Amber's face turned a bright red as she matched Viviana's nervous energy.

"Yeah . . . " Viviana coughed, "I didn't think you knew."

"I saw your insta."

"Yeah, well, I'm pretty gay so . . . "

"And I love that about you," Viviana poked her tongue through her cheek, "Not like that - I mean like it's a fun thing about you that's cool and I respect - you know like it's exciting and . . . you know . . . right?" This wasn't coming out right.

Viviana laughed, "Calm down, okay? I guess you don't have many gay friends?" Amber shook her head, "I'm happy to be your first then."

"I'm happy you're my first too."

Viviana laughed, "Okay, so . . . precalc?"

Amber nodded profusely, "Yes! Precalc!"