Five

For once, Vee was early to work. She was able to change into her uniform and still have time to scroll through Instagram and send her streaks. She was so focused on a game she was playing on Snapchat with Amber that she didn't notice when Lucas walked into the break room until he waved his hand in front of her face.

"Hello?"

Vee looked up quickly and smiled, "Hey!"

"You're in a good mood today," Lucas chuckled.

"I think I might be able to shoot my shot with Amber," Vee couldn't stop the smile from growing on her face.

Lucas sat down to change his shoes, "Really? She's gay?"

"Honestly, I don't know. But whenever I flirt with her, she kinda flirts back," Vee shrugged her shoulder slyly.

"How so?"

"Like a few nights ago we were facetiming," Lucas raised his eyebrows, "Yeah I know . . . Anyways, I found out I was her first gay friend so I said to her, 'I'm happy to be your first.' and you know what she said back?" Lucas looked at her, "She said, 'I'm happy you're my first too.' Like, c'mon!"

"Did she really say that because that's very . . . " Lucas trailed off.

"I know!" Vee exclaimed, "And we facetimed for hours too. It was almost one in the morning when we hung up. And I had a test the next morning!"

"What'd you guys even talk about?" Lucas was done changing his shoes and was now looking through his backpack for his work shirt.

"A lot of stuff. We talked about our families, our childhoods, favorite vacations, supernatural stuff - I don't know. Just a lot of things. And believe it or not, we were supposed to be studying," Vee smiled softly, "And she's picking me up from work today so we can go to the mall."

"That's actually really cute," Lucas finally found his work shirt and slipped it on, "Me and my girlfriend used to facetime for hours before we started dating."

"Don't put ideas into my head!" Vee looked at the time, "We gotta clock in."

The two of them clocked in and began to organize the back since the store wasn't very busy at the moment.

"I think you should ask her if she's straight."

Vee almost dropped the heavy box of frozen patties she was carrying, "What?"

"I mean, you don't want to spend your time pining over a straight girl, right?"

"That's true. But I can't just ask her like that. She might get offended or something."

Lucas shrugged, "I thought you said you guys talked about everything."

Vee began to break apart the frozen patties and put them into bags of sixty, "Not like that kinda stuff. She gets awkward when we talk about things like that."

Lucas shrugged again, "It's your choice," He grabbed the mop and headed off to the front, "Have fun at the mall."

The two of them didn't really talk for the rest of their shift. Sometimes Lucas could be a bit petty and get mad at Vee for the smallest things. She tries to not let it get to her head. Nonetheless, she was still upset when Amber came to pick her up from work and she wasn't able to introduce her to Lucas. Maybe there'll be another opportunity in the future.

The first thing Vee noticed when she got in Amber's car was how nice it smelled. Kind of like vanilla, and it was very clean.

"How was work?" Amber asked as she backed out of the parking lot. Vee couldn't help but feel a sense of coziness - like this could be them a few years in the future.