Eleven

There was only one day between when Amber returned home from spring break and when she had to return back to school. She decided to spend that day with Vee, who didn't mind. She was happy to introduce Amber to her family.

"So . . . this is Andrea," Amber shook her hand, "And that's Berto and Mariana."

"Hello," Amber waved down at them. The two of them waved back shyly.

"And over there," Vee pointed to the couch where her little brother was taking a nap, "Is Victor. He's the youngest."

"Aw, he looks so cute."

"He's the devil," Berto laughed.

"Don't say stuff like that about your brother!" Vee's mom walked into the room, "Hi, I'm Elena - Viviana's mother."

"It's nice to meet you," Amber shook her hand.

"So you're the one who's lifted my daughter's spirits," Elena laughed, "You two make a cute couple. I approve."

Amber beamed, "Thank you."

"It's early, honey. Did you eat?" Amber shook her head, "Stay! Eat breakfast with us! I can tell you all about how weird Viviana was as a baby." Elena grabbed Amber's hand and led her to the kitchen.

Amber looked back at Viviana smiling, "Ma! Stop! Bring her back!"

Elena was taking out all the pots and pans, "I'm only making pancakes and eggs. Is that okay?"

"I love pancakes and eggs."

"You know . . . a few years ago, Viviana was a vegetarian. Did she tell you that?"

"She didn't actually."

"Ma!"

"It only lasted a week. I told her she couldn't live in this house and be a vegetarian. We only have meat!" Elena began to make the pancake batter, "I told her when she gets her own house, she can eat all the leaves she wants."

Amber laughed.

"Also, when she was younger, her and her sister were always breaking each other's bones. We were regulars in the emergency room," Elena laughed fondly at the memory, "I thought I was going to have to ship one of them back to Columbia because I could not handle it!"

Vee leaned against the sink in the kitchen, "Yeah, me and Andrea were wild children."

"Do you have any siblings, Amber?" Elena asked.

"No, it's just me."

"Oh, that's the dream."

"Ma, you just make your pancakes," Vee stepped between her mom and Amber, "We're gonna be in the living room." Vee grabbed Amber's hand and dragged her out of the kitchen and into the living room.

"Your mom's nice."

"She's got a lot of stories," Vee rolled her eyes.

At that moment, Mariana walked up to the pair. She grabbed a lock of Amber's hair and twirled it, "Can I play with your hair?"

Amber looked at Vee confused before turning back to Mariana, "Sure?" Vee knew she was going to regret that.

Mariana went to her room to grab her supplies. When she came back, she went to work. In the back, she gave Amber two uneven pigtails. Then, she added braids around the perimeter of her head and tied the remaining hair in a bun. A true masterpiece.

"I love it!"

Mariana beamed, "Me too," She turned to Vee, "Can you take a picture."

Vee put her hand over her heart, "Sure! I would love to," She took out her phone and pointed it at Amber, "Say cheese, baby!" Amber stuck out her tongue and made a peace sign. Vee took the picture.

Elena came into the room, "Breakfast is done!"

Breakfast was nice. Everyone was telling their favorite stories about Vee. Andrea told the story of the time Vee stuck gum in her hair and Andrea had to cut it out. Berto told the story of the time their grandma was visiting and Vee helped him steal the candies from her purse. Mariana said her favorite memories were when she'd let her do her hair. Victor said he liked it when Vee made him food.

After breakfast, Vee and Amber left to go to the park. They wanted to spend their last day before school relaxing. They walked around the park, side by side, talking about nothing important. They stopped to sit down under the shade of a big tree.

"Today was a good day," Amber smiled, "I like your family."

Vee smiled at her, "I'm happy you like them. They obviously love you as much as I do." The words slipped out before Vee even realized. They haven't said that to each other before.

Amber's eyes softened and she bit her lip, "I love you two."

Vee couldn't help herself. She put her hand underneath Amber's chin and tilted her face up. She kissed her lips softly. Amber smiled and kissed her back. Vee pulled away and smirked, "Oops."

Amber laughed, "It's fine," She looked around, "Nobody saw."

Vee nodded before standing up, "Let's go. We've still got a lot of park to walk." Amber laughed and stood up and the two continued their walk.