Seven

It was the first day of Christmas break, and the day after Jinny's birthday party. Vee came home smiling and giddy. Not even her family could ruin her mood.

Vee didn't want to admit it, but she didn't actually think she'd get this far in her relationship with Amber. She genuinely thought she'd spend her senior year of high school pining over a straight girl.

Amber had texted her in the morning asking her if she wanted to get breakfast. Of course Vee agreed, and Amber said she'd be at her house in twenty minutes. It's been almost twenty minutes.

"Where are you going?" Vee's mom was dressed for work and making herself a batch of coffee.

"Out with a friend," Vee did a double-take, "You don't need me to stay home right?" She hoped not. She didn't want to have to cancel on Amber today of all days.

"No, it's fine. I'll just go wake up Andrea," Her mom looked her up and down, "You look nice. Who's this friend again?"

Vee rolled her eyes, "It's no one, ma. Sometimes I just like to look nice."

"Uh huh . . . "

I'm outside

"And I've gotta go. Bye ma!" Vee raced out the door and into Amber's car. For the first time since they've been friends, she was actually kind of nervous. She wasn't sure what to do or say.

"You look nice," Amber smiled at her. Vee smiled back.

"You too," Vee turned up the music, "Where are we going to eat?"

"I really like eating at the diner - if that's cool with you."

"I love the diner."

Even though Vee was nervous to see Amber, not much seemed to change. They still sang together in the car and blew spitballs at each other at the table while they were waiting for their food. However, a few things did change. Now, they were playing footsie under the table and playing with each others fingers while they talked. Their relationship was more intimate. Vee had to ask, "Is this a date?"

Amber blushed, "I hope so."

Vee smiled. This was really happening, "I can't wait to see Ro's reaction when I tell her we went on a date."

Amber's smile dropped, "Wait . . . you want to tell Rosalyn?"

"I mean, yeah?" Did Amber not want her to tell her friends? That's bad, "I already told them that we kissed . . . was I not supposed to share that?" Vee really hoped she didn't mess this up before it even started.

"What?" Amber was breathing hard, "I didn't want anybody to know."

"I promise they're not the type to tell anybody," Vee thought about it, "They really don't know anybody else, to be honest."

"Viviana, you don't understand. My friends and family cannot find out we kissed," Amber whispered the last part and slowly retreated to her side of the booth.

Vee couldn't stand seeing Amber like this. She just wanted to go to the other side of the booth and hug her until all of her problems faded away, but she knew now was not the time, "You know them, Amber. They're your friends, they don't want to hurt you. They're not gonna tell anyone. I promise."

Amber closed her eyes and took a deep breath, "What's done is done," She closed her eyes, "I trust them." She smiled softly. Vee smiled back.

After that, conversation never really picked up. Instead, they spent the rest of breakfast playing each other on 8 ball on their phones, but Vee wasn't phased. She knew Amber needed time to process everything.

When they were back in the car, Amber turned to her, "I'm sorry about how I reacted at breakfast."

"You have nothing to be sorry about. I'm actually sorry that I didn't ask before I went around telling my friends about us."

"I guess I should've been more clear," Amber sighed, "Do you wanna go back to my house? We can watch a movie or something."

Amber's house? Vee's never been, not even outside of it, "Sure, that sounds like fun."

~

As she pulled into the driveway, Amber was trying to mentally make sure her house was clean. To her knowledge, everything should be decent. She really should have thought of this before she invited Viviana over.

Viviana followed her as they walked up the steps to her house. She let Viviana in first before locking the door behind them

"So, this is my house," Amber laughed, "Nothing special." She quickly showed her around to the den, living room, and kitchen before she led her upstairs to her room.

"Your room's so much nicer in person," Viviana commented, looking around.

Amber laughed, "Thanks."

Amber sat down on her bed and turned on her television. She opened up Netflix and the two of them began to look through the movie selection. They mutually decided to watch 'To All The Boys I Loved Before', even though they've both already seen it. They were about halfway through the movie when Viviana turned to her.

"You wanna know the perks of watching a movie you've already seen?" Viviana raised a suggestive eyebrow.

"What?" Amber genuinely didn't know what she was hinting at. However, Viviana didn't respond. Instead, she gripped Amber's chin and locked their lips. Amber smiled and scooted closer to her. This was only their third kiss, but Amber was already so familiar with the feeling. The way Viviana held her made her feel at home - it made her feel safe.

They spent the rest of the movie with their lips locked. Amber was lying on top of Viviana, cupping her face and Viviana had her hands tucked in the pockets of Amber's jeans, just like Peter does in the movie. Everything felt warm and tingly.