Six

We're here

Amber looked up from her phone beaming. Viviana's arrived. She caught the attention of Jinny who was talking to her boyfriend, Mark, "Viviana's here - I'm gonna go and let her in." Jinny just nodded and waved her off before she went back to talking to her boyfriend.

Amber weaved her way through the crowd until she was finally at the front door. When she opened it, Viviana and her friends were still walking up the steps. Amber was greeted by a chorus of 'hellos' and 'what's ups'.

"You guys wanna go downstairs? They're playing Wii bowling."

"That's my game!" Rosalyn and Lorrie raced downstairs with Rubye silently following behind them.

Viviana turned to her, "Wii?"

Amber nodded her head, "Wii."

They walked down to the basement together, side by side. It was loud and there was a light mist of smoke in the air. Smack dab in the middle of the basement was the game of bowling. Jinny's brother, Stephan, and Amber's friend, Juliette, were playing against each other. The game was heated and the two were screaming at each other.

Everyone seemed to find a seat on the couch in the basement. Amber and Viviana sat in the loveseat sitting nearby.

"Are these what all the wild parties at Jinny Laughlin's house are like?" Lorrie joked. She, along with Rosalyn and Rubye, found the alcohol and they were all drinking contently.

"Honestly, yeah," Amber laughed, "But last time it was golf."

"Golf?" Viviana asked in disbelief.

"Golf can get pretty heated," Rubye shrugged, taking a sip of her beer.

Viviana got up, "I'm gonna get one. You want?" She looked at Amber, expectedly.

Amber shook her head, "No thanks, I'm good." Viviana nodded before padding over to the frozen cooler in the corner of the room.

As Viviana was walking back over to the group, the game of bowling ended and Juliette made her way over to Amber. The two of them reached Amber at the same time and they both stood there awkwardly, unsure of who should speak first. Juliette decided to speak up.

"Hey, Amber, I didn't realize you were down here," She looked around at Viviana and her friends, "What're you doing over here?"

"Just hanging out," Amber stood up, "Did you need something?"

"Did you see the group chat? They're about to sing Happy Birthday upstairs! We gotta go!" Juliette grabbed Amber's hand and dragged her upstairs.

Everyone was outside and gathered around Jinny. She was sitting on her favorite lounge chair with Mark and Stephan holding her birthday cake in front of her. Jinny saw Amber and Juliette in the crowd and waved them closer. The two of them joined Bethany, Emma and Tracy who were already standing around Jinny. However, Jinny pulled Amber down so she was sitting next to her on the lounge chair.

Mark began to count down, "One . . . Two . . . Three . . . " and everyone began to sing Happy Birthday. Jinny was beaming and Amber felt happy for her. She was finally eighteen.

Jinny blew out her candles and everyone took a slice of cake. Rather, it was more first come first serve. There was only about thirty slices of cake available, so anyone who couldn't get a slice was told to grab a cupcake in the back.

"Picture time!" Jinny shot up from her seat and handed her phone over to Mark, "Amber, us first!" They took a few pictures, some funny and some a bit suggestive ones for fun. After they were done, Amber looked around for Viviana but she was nowhere to be found. Amber decided to text her.

While they were taking group pictures, Viviana responded. She was in the bathroom upstairs, so that's where Amber went. When she got there, Viviana was looking at the pictures hung up in the hall.

"Hey," Amber said as she approached, "Where is everybody?"

"Downstairs," She pointed to a picture hanging on the wall, "Is that you?" The picture she was pointing at was a photo of Amber and Jinny from middle school when their families took a trip to Los Angeles. That was a really nice vacation. Viviana's eyes softened, "Aw, you have pigtails."

"Yeah," Amber laughed, "We're really young there."

"I can't believe they have pictures of you in their house."

"We're close," Amber shrugged, "There are more pictures if you want to see." Viviana nodded. Amber led her to Jinny's room which was full of pictures of them. Her favorite picture of them was sitting on Jinny's dresser. It was one of the first photos of them together. They were about two years old and taking pictures for their Christmas card. Amber had a big smile on her face and Jinny was sucking her thumb.

Viviana picked up the photo to examine it closely, "You look so cute."

Viviana had one hand resting on the dresser. Before she could think, Amber had her hand sitting on top of hers, "Thanks." Shocked, Viviana looked up from the picture. Amber quickly removed her hand, "I'm so sorry! I don't know why I even did that!"

Viviana put the photo down and turned to face Amber. She cupped her hands gently around her face and looked her deeply in the eyes, "It's okay." She smiled and slowly moved her face closer until her lips were touching Amber's.

Amber was shocked. This was her first kiss. She was having her first kiss - and it was with a girl. She was having her first kiss with Viviana. Though she struggled to admit it, Amber really wanted this. She melted under Viviana's touch.

The kiss was only a short peck, and it left Amber wanting more. She still had her eyes closed when Viviana pulled away. When she opened her eyes, Viviana was smiling a shy smile.

"Was that okay?" Viviana was looking her in the eye, but she was fiddling with the sleeve of her shirt.

"Yeah, it was really okay," Amber smiled back, and she could feel her face heating up.

Viviana let out a deep breath, "Should we head back down?"

"One second," Amber reached up to kiss Viviana's lips one last time. Viviana shrieked in surprise. When Amber tried to pull away, Viviana grabbed her by the hips to keep her close. In response, Amber wrapped her arms around Viviana's neck to pull her closer.

This kiss was different. Unlike the last one, there was tongue. Amber wasn't sure how to navigate a kiss with tongue, but Viviana was leading the way. Amber had never felt safer than in Viviana's arms. She never wanted to be anywhere else.

Viviana pulled away slowly, a smile on her face, "I think we should head back downstairs." Amber was disappointed, but agreed.