4

(SUPER long update (sorry for those who don't like long chapters) because I wanted to put a combination of the flashbacks into one chapter! I hope you all like it!)

17 years ago. . .

"Nietzche once said, 'Man is as a rope stretched between the animal and the superhuman. A rope over an abyss. It is a dangerous crossing, a dangerous looking back, a dangerous trembling and halting.' As much as you must strive for individual greatness, and strive you must, for it won't come to you of its own accord. . .you must also remember that there is no individual stronger than the collective."

"The ties that bind you together make you stronger than you are alone. They will make you impervious to the pain and hardship the world will thrust upon you. And believe me when I tell you, life will be hard.  It will be painful. We can accomplish anything when we accept responsibility together. This is what creates trust."

"Together, you will stand against the reign of evil."

- - -

"I'm going to win," Diego stated proudly as he looked at the stairs in front of him. Emilia, Klaus, Five, Ben, Allison, and Luther all glared at him. "Oh, yeah?" Emilia asked. "I'm pretty sure if anyone's winning, it's going to be me."

Diego chuckled. "Good luck trying, Princess," he told her causing the girl to narrow her eyes at him. "Come on, you two. I'm obviously going to be the one that wins," Klaus said. "Umm. . .no. I am," Allison argued. Luther chuckled. Allison turned to him and put her hands on her hips.

"What's so funny?" She asked. Luther glanced at her before looking at the stairs. "Nothing," he assured her. "Just that you think you could beat me. I think you all know that I'm the one who is really going to win."

"Guys, be smart here, okay? Who is the one who can jump through space? Oh right, me," Five told them. "Go ahead and try, Five. I'm going to win," Ben argued. The group all looked at each other in silence before they all began arguing. From up above, Hargreeves and Vanya looked down at the seven with a roll of their eyes.

"Attention!" Hargreeves yelled and the kids all froze before looking up at the man. Hargreeves gave them a small nod before looking at Vanya. She looked down at the group below her and then brought the whistle in her hand up to her mouth.

The seven's eyes widened and they quickly positioned themselves in front of the stairs. Vanya took in a deep breath and blew the whistle. At the sound of the whistle, the group began their climb up the stairs.

They had made it up one flight of stairs when Emilia was shoved back by Diego and Luther who were in the lead. Emilia frowned as she fell to the back of the group. She shook her head at the team before turning invisible. The group continued to run up the stairs, none of them noticing the invisible girl slipping by them and to the front.