Chapter XI: Player

Larry and Ashley leaves the maze with a nagging voice at the back of their heads. After hearing Neil's scream, sends shiver to their spine. There's something in his tone that tells them that his scream is not because of the maze. It's something more.

     "Do you think they're okay?" Ashley asks. Her breathing is heavy from running.

     Larry caresses her arm and holds her hand. "I hope so."

    "Do you think Sal did this?" Her question catches him off-guard but he answers without any hesitation. "I know someone did it, but it wasn't Sal."

    "At the same time, I don't think Sal is Sal. If you know what I'm saying. "He adds, planting a kiss on her hand. Ashley nods at his response. A heavy feeling falls into the atmosphere as they stay quiet for a while. They dwell into it as they wait and hope for the best. As if on cue, Todd and [Name] comes out. Their breathing is heavy from both fear and panic. Their bodies tremble.

     "[Name]! Todd!" Ashley gasps before rushing off to her friends. Her lips quivers in worry. "I thought something bad happened."

    "You aren't wrong," The [Hair Colored]-haired woman replies, her voice almost a whisper. The emptiness in her eyes and Todd's makes the brunette take a step back. Her hands cover her lips as he gasps. Tears pour down her face as she realizes.

    "Where's Neil?" Her voice croaks.

     The pair exchange glances but no one answers. No one is certain about what happened, yet they know they shouldn't go back. Their silence causes a gloomy atmosphere to take place. Ashley breaks into tears. Her sobbing state causes Todd to tremble. He lost his lover and he can't do anything. If he ran after him, [Name] is more likely to be the one Neil's spot. It would be her who is screaming in pain, left behind, and no one knows what happened.

     "I'm sorry," Larry pats Todd's back, as his sobs grow louder. "I wasn't able to do anything."

    "[Name] ..." Todd whimpers. His eyes gazing at hers. "Be honest with me. How did you end up tied in that chair?"

     The woman in question stays silent. Her eyes gazes away from him. She knows that she can tell them everything right now, but if the killer knows, they are all dead. But the more suspicious they are, the more reckless they would act. This would leave them into falling right into the killer's grasp. As she weighs her options, the masked killer arrives. Splashes of blood decorates his mask and clothes. He limps as he approaches them.

     "Sal," Larry calls, an edge on his voice. Without any warning, the brunet grasps his blood-soaked jacket and lifts him up. "What have you done with Neil?"

    "Larry!" Ashley grabs his arm. "What are you doing?!"

    "He's not him, Ash." He growls. "Am I right?"

     His reaction attracts the attention of a lot of people. They start to whisper as the two makes a scene. The killer scowls, his body aching from everything that happened. He didn't want to deal with any trouble right now, but the brunet is testing him.

    "Larry, calm down." [Name]'s voice laces with frustrated tone. "People are looking."

    "Let them look. No one can escape if there's any witnesses."

    "He's hurt, Larry." She tugs his arm. "One hit and you're seen as someone abusing the weak. You're more than that."

     The brunet scoffs in defeat. He lets go of his grip and the masked killer falls on the floor. He curses under his breath. He knows that he chose the wrong group to mess with. He'll lose if he makes another mistake. If anything, he can go back to where he came from and forget this night. No one will know who he is and what he's after. He will be a distant memory to them.

    "You're not going anywhere," [Name whispers to him. Her hand on his shoulder and helps him up. A small smile plaster on her lips. "I know who did that to you, and I know he won't stop until you're dead."

     The killer scowls. The threat is real, and he knows his life could be in grave danger. The blue-haired bastard he encountered isn't someone normal. He can kill and he won't hesitate to do it. The thoughts cause his courage to waver. 'I might not survive.'

     The killer's eyes gaze at the woman. Her eyes are hard with determination and courage. The shift of attitude happened after coming back from Sal's abduction. He must've said things to her that gave her this strength. In all honesty, the new version of her is impressing to the killer. A new-found emotion stirs inside him. 'You're really something else, [Name].'

As their group head somewhere off to rest, no one says a word. The killer is gazing at the [Name] as the rest of their group grumbles their concerns. Their mind is boggling over the attack at the maze. Little did they know, Neil is safe. He's resting at the clinic.

     "The officials will be here soon," He tells his friend. Sal nods and pulls out his phone. The killer is clumsy enough to let his phone fall. Now, he has the advantage to contact his lover and his friends. Typing, he sends them a message. Tucking away the phone, he bids good-bye to Neil and heads to Hell, the scariest maze in the park. There, he waits.

     The killer cleans his wounds inside the bathroom. He curses under his breath as every cut sting. He received an amount of attack from his opponent and it frustrates him. 'I'm supposed to be the one who is hunting, not the one hunted.'

     The game is changing and now, he needs to reevaluate. He needs to win the fight and he needs to have the girl. After all, [Name] is no regular woman. He and Sal know that, and they know who she is as a person. Having her would be the ultimate prize. A smile forms on his lips. A new form of dedication fills inside him. This is no longer a battle between who is the prey and the predator. It's now the game of who will die and who will claim the prize.

     As he exits the bathroom, the group stares at him, except for [Name]. She looks calm as she tucks away her phone. With a smile, she asks. "Let's go to Hell?"

     The group nods. Somehow, the killer feels her words are off. As if hidden agenda lies under her simple words. He couldn't help but smirk. The girl may not be a prize in the game anymore, instead, she's also a player.