●1●

Chapter 1:
> adVENTures <
______________________________________
When her eyes opened, she was greeted with the familiar grey underside of the bed that rested above her own. As they had done for the past three days, the guards hit the door, awakening her. She got up, got changed and went out the door.

Her and Aris were the only ones left in the so-called 'safe place away from W.I.C.K.E.D. Sonya, Harriet and Rachel had already been taken to this 'Safe Haven' that everyone had been discussing nonstop ever since they first arrived there.

She went out to the cafeteria for breakfast, where she saw Aris. After getting her food, she walked over to sit across from him.

"Morning," she said miserably.

He looked up to give her a small smile and then looked back down.

She looked at her own food. The food here wasn't good, but she didn't really want to starve, so she picked up her spoon, ready to force something down when one of the doctors came over.

"Darcy, you're wanted in room D-22."

Aris looked up at the doctor, a dark look in his eyes, but Darcy shot him a warning look as if to say 'calm down'. She stood up and followed the doctor through the winding corridors of the building, reminding her too much of the twists and turns in the maze. She tried her best to stifle the shiver that shot down her spine.

When she walked through the doors of room D-22, her stomach made a rumbling sound and she was regretting not taking a bite of food before following the doctor. Even if it tasted worse than the food the cooks made in the Square, at least it was still something.

"Just take a seat over there, please. Dr Atho will be with you very soon," said the woman.

Darcy walked over to the bed that she had indicated. She had been taken to this room before, the first day she was here. They had given her medicine and gotten her to run on a treadmill for a reason unknown to her. In her maze, she was never allowed out of the Square, so she wasn't that fast. After all, she was the youngest girl there. She seemed to be about 12 or 13, but of course she didn't know. The only thing she remembered was her name.

However, just because she was never allowed into the maze didn't mean she couldn't hold her speed when it came to running with the others. That was one of the reasons she got out of the maze alive. Although, some of the girls seemed to think she needed protecting. They would always jump in front of her when there was a Roller near. Those huge mechanical, whirring beasts. Darcy still blamed herself for some of the deaths. Especially-

She was snapped out of her thoughts when some new people walked in. There was a doctor and some teenage boys. To Darcy, they seemed to be about the same age as most of the girls in her maze, but there was only one girl with them. She had raven black hair and even from where Darcy sat, she could tell that she had blue eyes. She was led to a different bed whilst one of the boys was hooked up to a treadmill and the rest were taken to different beds, probably for injections.

Some of the boys looked at her as they passed, but as soon as they did, Darcy would glare at them and they would look away. She wasn't in the mood for talking to new people. She wasn't in the mood for much these days.

A doctor then walked in.

"Hello, Darcy. My name is Dr Atho. I hope you don't mind, but we need to run a couple of tests," he said with a small smile.

"What kind of tests?" she asked.

"Well, we're going to need to take a little blood. Then we're going to hook you up to a treadmill. If we get certain results, you can go. If you get... other results, you'll probably need an injection. Sound okay?"