●8●

Chapter 8:
> Every damn day <
______________________________________
For the next few days, they continued their trudge through the scorch. They soon only had a small amount of water left and were growing more tired as the days went on. For Darcy, sleep became harder each night. Even whenever she did manage to find sleep, the memories came flooding back. It didn't help that no one was in the mood for talking; she was left only with her own thoughts after experiencing flashbacks. She almost wanted someone to talk to about it, even though she hated talking about it.

They were lying in the middle of the scorch, and while everyone else seemed to be asleep, Darcy's mind wouldn't shut off. She heard everyone's snores as she lay there. In the distance, she could see lights and she didn't know if that was a good thing or not.

She began to make up a story of some sorts in her head to keep her occupied, when Thomas awoke. He rubbed his eyes and looked into the distance, then began to shake Minho, who was nearest to him.

A bit of light filled the sky behind them, causing Darcy to turn. The sky was filled with black clouds. She turned back around to see that Thomas was shaking everyone awake.

"Lights!" He said.

Then, thunder boomed. More light filled the sky.

"Run!" shouted Thomas.

Never would've thought to do that.

They began running towards the lights, Darcy still not sure if it was something to get excited about, but she wasn't going to take her chances with the lightning. Better fighting people than the weather.

They kept running and running, barely avoiding close calls with the lightning. Sand was blowing everywhere, just like the night they escaped. It was hard to see properly, and all that could be heard were faint shouts, heavy breathing and the deafening booms from the thunder above them.

Darcy was pushing herself to her limits. She was weak, dehydrated and tired. She was falling behind the group but the flash of lightning right behind her, barely missing her, made her push herself even more. Her legs protested and her lungs burned, but she kept going as they neared the buildings.

"There's doors up ahead!" shouted Thomas.

She kept herself running, her legs yelling at her to stop.

"Everyone in!" yelled Thomas, keeping the door open.

Another flash of listening struck, but this time, it hit Minho. The others cried out as Minho collapsed to the ground.

Newt, Thomas and Fry ran over to him, lifting him and bringing him inside. Darcy wanted to help, but Aris ushered her into the building.

Someone closed the door, sending them into complete darkness. Everyone who had a flashlight turned it on.

She looked over to see Minho, beginning to stand on his own. He looked confused and was asking what happened.

"Anyone else think it smells really bad here, or is it just me?" said Darcy, scrunching her nose in disgust.

Teresa walked over to her, flashlight in hand. She pointed it in front of her and clicked it on.

Teresa and Darcy both screamed and jumped back as a zombie thingy jumped towards them, roaring. Well, it tried to jump at them, but it seemed to be restrained.

More zombie thingys seemed to take that as their cue, and started jumping out from every direction. But they were all restrained...

"I see you've met our guard dogs" said a female voice from somewhere in the darkness.