●15●

Chapter 15:

>Fabulously<______________________________________

Darcy looked out the window as they drove. She wasn't even fully aware of who the Right Arm were.

She was glad to see Harriet and Sonya, even if they were never the best of friends in the Square. They were the ones in charge, so they never really had time to talk to her. Nevertheless, they still helped her when she was the newbie, and she was grateful. Plus, a couple more familiar faces was definitley comforting.

She was in the car that Sonya was driving. Thomas and Minho sat in the seats beside her, Brenda in the front. Everyone else was with Harriet, as her car was slightly bigger.

After what seemed to be Thomas' one hundredth question since they started to drive, Darcy finally told him to shut up, which earned a laugh from Sonya.

There was a few moments of silence before Sonya spoke.

"So, Darcy," she began, "How have you been holding up?"

"Fabulously."

Minho snickered. "If you call nearly dying 'fabulous,' then that's definitely the truth."

"That's exactly my definition of 'fabulous,' Minho. So thank you for the compliment."

Minho rolled his eyes as he turned away, looking out the window.

"Wait, Darcy, you've almost died?"

"Quite a few times."

Sonya said something else, but Darcy didn't hear. A sudden though struck her. It filled her with anger at the driver and her bitten arm throbbed.

"Wait a minute," she cut the girl off. "How come you guys escaped without me?"

Sonya faltered for a moment as she glanced at her through the mirror. "Darcy, we didn't have a plan, we just--"

"You left we in there with only Aris for company--"

"Ouch," muttered Minho.

"-- and you made me think that you had been taken into that weird room with the bodies! As miserable as the Scorch is, W.I.C.K.E.D wasn't exactly the most glamourous place to remain in either."

"Darcy, we just--"

Anger flared inside her. "Never mind. I know why. You just didn't want to take me because I'm just a 'little girl' who can't take care of herself."

"I thought you weren't little?" asked Minho.

"Minho, shut up!"

"Darcy, just calm down--"

"Thomas, do not tell me to call down! I'll calm down when I want to calm down," she waited a few seconds before saying, "Okay, now I want to calm down."

Everyone was quiet. Darcy sometimes got like this inside the maze. She was a headstrong young girl and sometimes just needed a while to cool down.

Thomas continued to ask questions, but Darcy tuned him out, instead staring at the sky. She remembered the conversation she had with Newt one night, about space. In some ways, the sky calmed her. It made her feel like her problems weren't that big. It made her feel like there was so much out there, that she had so much to live for. It made her feel safe.