●21●

Chapter 21:
>Actually pretty fun<
______________________________________
Darcy, Thomas, Newt and Fry drove through open land. The views weren't that nice, due to the sun flares scorching the earth, but they weren't leaving to go on a fun road trip, they were leaving to save their friend.

Not many words were spoken between them. Darcy figured that Thomas was still annoyed at her for coming, but at least he gave in much quicker than she thought he would. She supposed it was because they had to get going quickly, not that she was arguing about it.

They passed many signs that had the topic of the flare. Darcy didn't know much about it, only that it was a virus that turned you into a zombie thingy. Many signs included phrases such as 'Mandatory Infection Check' and 'Flare Virus: signs of infection' along with additional information that was in too small of a print for her to read. However, she did manage to notice that many signs contained the letters 'W.I.C.K.E.D' on them.

After driving for several hours, they finally reached a tunnel. Fry slowed the small truck as they approached, wanting to be cautious. They came to a stop right by the entrance and exited the truck.

"You want us to go in there?" asked Newt.

No one answered. Fry walked a couple of steps forward, Thomas took out his map and Darcy stared into the dark tunnel with an odd curiosity.

"I don't want to come across as too negative, but if I was a crank, that's exactly where I'd be." It was Newt who spoke once again.

"Zombie thingy," quietly corrected Darcy.

The only response she got was the edges of Newt's mouth lifting up slightly.

"I don't think we have much of a choice," said Thomas, looking up from his map. He folded it up before looking into the tunnel.

"Alright, I get shotgun," said Newt as he turned to head back towards the truck.

Thomas and Fry looked at each other in amusement. Darcy was left out, reminding her of that time that Aris, Thomas and her went into the room with the bodies in the W.I.C.K.E.D room.

Still rude.

They returned to the truck, ready (or at least as ready as they'd ever be) to go through the tunnel.

The road inside was bumpy. There were holes, some filled with water, resulting in a splashing sound once they drove through them.

The lights along the sides of the tunnel weren't that helpful, either. Instead, the several lights on the truck allowed them to see what was ahead. Thomas also had a flashlight.

"Well, here we go," said Fry.

"Just take it nice and slow," replied Newt. He also had a light that he shone through the window. "Woah, woah, woah," he said a few minutes later as Fry brought the truck to a stop.

Darcy moved slightly to see through the front window. Not too far away was a zombie thingy. It wasn't doing anything, just standing there, its back to the truck.

Darcy was quickly reminded of the day when she got attacked. Her eyes snapped to her arm, where a quick stab of pain shot through.