●29●

Chapter 29:
>Scratches make me look braver<
______________________________________
The journey back was in no way easy. Gally covered Minho as he half-dragged, half-carried Darcy through the burning streets.

At one point, Darcy coughed up a lot of black liquid over Minho. She knew he said something, she just didn't hear what.

There was one moment when she felt herself slipping, felt her grasp on sanity loosen as it was right about to fall. She nearly would've went full crank mode on him, had he not stumbled over something. Her arm was grazed by a thing jutting out of a pile of rubble, the pain bringing her slightly back to her senses.

The heat around her was beginning to be too much for the young girl. Minho hoisted her arm back around his shoulder as it was slipping.

"Just leave me," she shouted, though she didn't know she was shouting. In her mind, she could've been whispering or screaming, she had no idea which.

"No, we're getting you the cure!"

"I'm only slowing you down," she whined as she began to move her legs as much as she could in order to help. It didn't help at all. In fact, it was easier for him to move when she wasn't making her feeble attempt.

"Too bad. You're coming."

"Thomas? Can you hear me?" A female voice abruptly echoed throughout the city. "I need you to listen to me. I know you have no reason to trust me...but I need you to come back. Thomas, you can save Newt and Darcy. There's still time for them. There's a reason Brenda isn't sick anymore; it's your blood. Do you understand? She isn't sick because... because you cured her. She doesn't have to be the only one. All you have to do is come back and this will all finally be over. Please. Just come back to me. I know you know the right thing to--"

But Teresa's voice was cut off. What few city lights that remained around them, dimmed. Darcy didn't take much notice of the light, or Teresa's words, for she was now struggling immensely against losing herself to the Flare.

But Darcy's attempts to remain stable were feeble. She began to grow angrier and angrier, for no reason whatsoever.

When she couldn't take it anymore, when her last finger on the edge of sanity slipped, she pushed Minho away from her with a sudden burst of crank strength.

He fell to the ground, but quickly scrambled back to his feet as he said, "What the-- Darcy, no!"

She lunged at him again and now Gally was realising what was going on. Darcy had let go. She was now in full crank mode.

Minho dodged her and she stumbled slightly before turning around again. She hesitated a moment this time and he took the opportunity to say, "Hey, hey, it's Minho. Darcy, I know you're still in there. It's okay. We're about to get the cure. Come on, it's not much farther. We can save you, Darcy!"

His words didn't work on her. To her fried mind it was just another noise. She lunged forward again, this time tackling Minho to the ground. As he fought to get her off of him, Gally came over and tried to help. He grabbed one of Darcy's arms-- one that was in the middle of scratching at Minho-- and pulled it back hard. She fell backwards and Minho took the opportunity to scramble back as far as he could.

"Gally, run ahead and get the serum!" he shouted.

"No way, I can't leave you with her when she's like that!"

"Just go!"

Gally hesitated for a split second, before running in the direction of the cure.

Darcy once again lunged, but Minho caught her shoulder and thrusted her to the side. She fell onto her back and Minho grabbed her wrists, pinning her down.

"Darcy, listen to me. You're still in there. It's Minho. Remember me? And Gally-- Gally's gone to get the cure. The cure that's gonna save you. Brenda has it right now, I know you remember Brenda. And Fry, and Jorge. They're all here."

She had let him speak, but then a burst of anger made her bring up her knee. She kneed him in the stomach and he went toppling over.

She made an inhuman screech as she ran at him again. He was trying to quickly get up off of the ground, but his speed was no match for that of a crank.

She scratched at his face-- unaffected by his attempts to get away from her-- before she saw a large piece of rubble in the distance: a jagged board that could be used as a weapon.

She ran to grab it as Minho quickly took his opportunity and got off the ground. Darcy ran towards him and missed, but when she tried again she brought him to the ground. She lifted up the sharp end, ready to bring it down into Minho's chest, when she felt a slight pinch of pain on her right shoulder.

The board fell to the ground as her muscles relaxed. It was like she had been a swelling balloon that had now burst. Her thoughts began to clear like fog from a glass and she suddenly realised that she was on top of Minho. Quickly scrambling off him, she stared with wide eyes at his blood-stained face.

Gally was behind her, holding an empty injection that had previously housed the cure.

"I--" she began. Her eyes filled with tears and she let them fall. "I'm- I'm so sorry."

"It's okay," said Gally. "But let's get you back to the berg so we can save Newt, too."

"Oh my God, Newt. Do you have another cure?"

Gally lifted up his hand. "Right here.  Minho, you're faster. Go!"

He threw the injection to Minho, who began sprinting as soon as he caught it. As he left, he shouted, "Hey, these scratches make me look braver anyway!"

Darcy managed a weak smile.

"Come on, we should get back to the berg," said Gally.

Then Brenda came running.

"Darcy? Gally, did you give her the serum?"

"Yeah. She doesn't look much better, but her brain is fine now," he informed her. "Hopefully," he added quietly.

But Darcy already felt better, apart from the fact that her guilt level was way up. She had attacked Minho. Was probably about to kill him. She was grateful that Gally had such good timing.

"Is Minho gone for Newt?" asked Brenda.

"Yeah, he left about a minute ago."

"You two get back to the berg!" she said as she ran off in the same direction as Minho.

But Darcy didn't head in the opposite direction, she began running in the same direction as Brenda and Minho.

*A/N: haha... so... yeah...*