●7●

Chapter 7:
> Now you've got competition <
______________________________________
They both whipped around to where they heard the bang. Winston was on his hands and knees, coughing up some black substance.

"What happened?" asked Fry.

"I don't know!" said Aris. "He just grabbed the gun a tried to..." He trailed off, but the unspoken words lingered in the air.

Winston was now on his back, his chest rising and falling rapidly.

"It's growing... inside me," he breathed out, pain tainting his voice.

He lifted his shirt. His stomach was horrible. It looked like raw meat instead of a stomach.

He shook his head. "I'm not gonna make it." He extended one of his arms. "Don't let me turn into one of those things."

Everyone remained silent and still for a moment, but then Newt stepped forward and took the gun from the ground. He walked forwards and placed it in Winston's hands.

"Thank you," he said quietly. "Now. You all need to get out of here."

There was silence for a few moments before Newt finally broke it.

"Goodbye, Winston," said Newt sadly, standing up and turning to leave.

"Good luck," said Darcy quietly. He gave her a small smile and she went after Newt and Aris. She could feel tears threatening to spill but she held them back.

"You alright?" Aris asked her.

She just ignored him and he didn't try again.

The rest of the group were following after them now. They took a few more steps when they heard another bang.

They all stopped in their tracks for a minute. But then they were off again, their group smaller.

                               ■■■

They trudged through the scorch, no one really talking, the events of the day wearing down on all of their shoulders. It was beginning to get dark now and more wind was coming. Darcy took one of the scarves out of her bag to protect her eyes from the sand. She saw that she had taken two other scarves and took them out too. Once she put on one of them, she trudged over to Newt.

She didn't say anything, just held it out for him.

He took it and gave her a smile. "Thanks."

Then she walked over to Minho, who was the closest to her.

"Want this?" she asked plainly, extending her arm.

He turned and looked at her, then at the scarf. He hesitated but then took it. "Thanks," he muttered.

"So... Minho, right?" she asked, trying to make conversation. The quiet was beginning to drive her crazy.

He just nodded his head and she realised how annoying it must be when she does just that.

"Alright, then. Not in the mood for a conversation. Got it."

A few minutes passed and then Minho spoke to her. "You know, you're pretty fast for a little girl."

She took a deep breath. "I'm not little," she said, crossing her arms.

"Oh, yeah. Sorry. Forgot," he muttered, smirking slightly. "But seriously, you're really fast. You weren't a Runner in your maze, were you?"

"A what?"

"A runner."

"Oh, well that clears that up."