●24●

Chapter 24:
>When I turn into a crank<
______________________________________
It had been a while since Thomas and Newt had left, but they still weren't back.

Jorge was changing Darcy's arm wrapping as she sat on the floor. It had taken a lot of convincing to let him do it- she would never admit it, but Darcy was scared of what would be underneath the wrapping. It could look worse, it could look better. But there was only one way to find out.

Jorge unwrapped it gently. Darcy's scowl deepened once she saw the bite: It didn't exactly look worse, but it definitely wasn't any better. The veins around the bite were still slightly tinged black, and the bite itself looked almost exactly as it did a week after she was bitten; not like a fresh wound, but not a healing one either.

"On the bright side, it doesn't look any worse, hermana."

"And on the down side, it doesn't look any better," Darcy said, the words that Jorge was too afraid to.

Jorge sighed. He took the new wrapping, carefully tying it around her arm.

"Jorge, if I- I mean, when I turn into a crank, please just... just don't let me turn fully into one, okay?"

Jorge waited a moment before replying, his eyes staring hard at the wrappings. "It's all gonna work out, hermana. I mean, Brenda had a bite too and now she's healthy again. It'll be okay."

"Yeah, but that was when Mary was alive," muttered Darcy.

"But that showed us that there is a cure. The cure isn't just false hope anymore, it's real."

"Yep. And when that real cure comes along right in front of me doing a tap dance, I'll be sure to use it."

■■■

"No. There's gotta be another way."

Gally, Brenda, Thomas, Newt, Jorge, Fry and Darcy were all gathered in a room. The three of them that left had finally returned, but they didn't exactly bring back much good news. Darcy sat on the table, looking down at all the maps and graphs that were spread over the surface, trying to figure out some alternate solution to kidnapping Teresa.

"Like what? You've seen the building. She's our only way in," retorted Gally.

"You really think she's gonna help us?" asked Thomas.

"I don't plan on asking for her permission."

So far, the only ones who had been arguing were Gally and Thomas, but now Brenda chimed in.

"Am I missing something? This is the same girl who betrayed us, correct? Same dick?"

"I like her," said Gally, pointing in Brenda's direction and nodding at her question.

Brenda's voiced softened as she directed her words at Thomas. "What's going on?"

Everything was silent as Thomas didn't answer, but then Newt spoke up.

"What, are you afraid your little girlfriend's gonna get hurt? Hmm?" He was glaring daggers at Thomas, and the sight took Darcy by surprise. "Because this has obviously never just been about rescuing Minho. Has it?"