●26●

Chapter 26:
>ha!<
______________________________________
"Thomas, you have to listen to me. Getting that serum won't save Newt or Darcy. It might buy them some time, but--"

"Hey, Teresa," said Darcy, smiling brightly at the girl, "you know what would be a good idea? You shutting up!"

For once, Thomas didn't reprimand Darcy for being rude to Teresa. She guessed this really did show how times were changing- not a single person batted an eyelid at her.

But Teresa tried again. "Thomas, listen. You know what's going on out there. People are dying. The world is dying. There's something about your blood I don't understand."

"Open it," demanded Thomas, ignoring her desperate attempts.

Teresa opened the door with a huff, but still continued, "If you let me run some tests, I promise I can protect you."

Darcy and Thomas both replied at the same time.

"What, are you gonna put him back in a maze? Maybe one with extra monsters this time to spice it up a little?"

"Yeah? Like you protected Minho?"

Newt pulled Darcy backwards slightly, a kinder and silent way to tell her to shut up. Teresa only glanced at her for a split second, mainly focusing on Thomas who was taking his mask off.

"Thomas," whisper-shouted Newt. "What are you doing?"

Thomas ignored him, instead spitting more angry words in Teresa's face. "How many people is it gonna take?  How many more people do they have to round up, torture, kill. Huh? When the hell does it stop?"

"It stops when we find a cure."

"There is no goddamn cure!"

"Don't waste your breath, Teresa," said Janson. Great, thought Darcy, what perfect timing.

He held a gun as he walked towards them, guards flanking either side of him. His eyes flickered to Darcy, a dangerous smirk on his face as he said, "I knew there was something up with the little one."

"Congratulations," she shot back. "It doesn't exactly take a genius to figure out. You're proof of that."

Newt pushed Darcy behind him, acting as a human shield from Janson's gun. It was a weird change for Darcy. She was used to being the one who acted as the barrier, like back when they were escaping the place with Brenda and Jorge in the middle of the Scorch, or when Brenda was about to be shot at the Right Arm.

Darcy let him stand there for a second, not able to respond quickly to the situation. Maybe it was the tiredness finally pulling her under, or perhaps the Flare was muddling her brain, but after a moment of zoning out slightly, she quickly pushed her way to the front of Newt. He tried to push her back behind him, but she wasn't going to give in.

She only realised that there were people approaching when their commotion caused everyone to go quiet.

Guards were closing in on them from every direction. They were completely trapped.

"Drop it, kid!" one of them shouted to Thomas, who had raised his gun at the oncoming threat.

But Thomas didn't drop his weapon. Instead, in one swift movement, he locked an arm around Teresa's neck, and raised his other to hold the barrel of his gun to Teresa's head.

"Tell 'em to back off," ordered Thomas. "Tell 'em to back off!"

"Thomas, come on," Janson said slowly. "It's me. I've known you longer than you can remember, you're not gonna shoot her."

"You don't think so?" said Thomas.

"Okay. Go on then," said Janson, raising an eyebrow slightly. He brought his gun down to his side. "Shoot her. Prove me wrong... Shoot her."

But before any shooting could happen, Teresa pushed Thomas off of her. After pulling a lever, she shoved Thomas, Newt and Darcy behind a closing glass door.

Alarms began to ring throughout the facility, alerting everyone that something was wrong. Janson shouted something incomprehensible as he and his guards began firing at the luckily bullet-proof glass.

He walked right up to it until his body was pressed close. Darcy knew he couldn't get through, but seeing him so close was unnerving. She couldn't help imagining the cracks forming in the glass. But thankfully, it held.

There was a tense moment of staring between him and Thomas before Thomas walked off. Newt took off his helmet, sending Janson a glare before following Thomas. Darcy also removed her helmet, but threw it at the glass instead of on the floor like Newt had.

Janson jumped slightly when the helmet made contact and before leaving, Darcy pointed at him and shouted, "Ha!" before following the others.

■■■

When Darcy turned to ask Thomas a question, he wasn't there. Fortunately, he was only a couple steps behind, gazing down a corridor with an unreadable expression on his face. Walking over to where he stood, she realised why.

At the end of the corridor, dressed in her usual white attire, stood Ava Paige. She had a similar dumbfounded expression to Thomas as she looked back at the three of them.

Thomas raised his gun, but before he pulled the trigger, Newt shouted his name and moved him out of the way. Darcy heard a loud bang and jumped out of the way just in time to avoid being hit by one of Janson's bullets.

*A/N: PLEASE READ
Alright, so I've been thinking of finishing up this story (up until the last chapter of course) and a little while after the last chapter goes up, I might remove this story. After reading back over this story, the writing is just so bad and very cringy at times. Writing this story was also when I learnt a bunch of grammar stuff, so a bunch of stuff is just all wrong. Anyways, I haven't fully decided yet, but let me know your thoughts on the situation.

Alright, so I know this chapter is worse than usual, but I'm writing this all on Thursday night because I have no pre-written chapters. It's so short because I'm supposed to be doing homework and studying for the 3 tests I have tomorrow, but I'd feel annoyed at myself if I didn't have a chapter up tomorrow (so be grateful that I'm writing this lol).

edit: yall don't have to worry rn, i've left this story up for two years by this stage lmao so idk i doubt it'll be taken down any time soon*