Chapter 3.

Edited-From Serenity's understanding, a bell was supposed to wake everyone up in the morning, but instead of the expected ringing noise, she woke up to shouting from what seemed like a couple of rooms down

Edited
-
From Serenity's understanding, a bell was supposed to wake everyone up in the morning, but instead of the expected ringing noise, she woke up to shouting from what seemed like a couple of rooms down.

"Get out of my room Diego! You can't look through my things like this!" Serenity heard a weak voice shout.

"Someone took my knives, and I want to know who! Agh I bet it was that new mutt!" Who Serenity assumed was Diego shouted. A crashing noise was heard, so Serenity shot up from her bed and ran in the direction the sound was coming from. She hoped to be able to stop the commotion before someone got into trouble. When she found the room she was looking for, she saw a boy in pajamas rummaging through the drawers of the shortest sibling's dresser.

"What's going on?" Serenity asked, stepping inside of the trashed room while looking at the shorter boy.

"None of your business, Zero." The taller boy growled at Serenity which caused her to step back a bit.

"You are going to get in trouble if you don't stop, Diego," Serenity said, assuming that using his name would somehow get him to stop.

"How do you know my name? Who told you?" Diego asked angrily, stopping his searching and getting into Serenity's face.

"You two aren't being quiet, Mr.Hargreeves is going to hear you if you don't stop." Serenity explained, looking over Diego's shoulder toward the short boy, wanting help. Diego didn't scare her, but she still wanted assistance in calming him down.

"And what of it?" Diego asked, stepping even closer to Serenity.

"I know that you are upset that you lost your knives, but did you ever think that you could maybe ask for help to find them?" Serenity asked calmly, tilting her head to the side as she looked up at Diego. It was evident that Diego wanted to intimidate her, but it wasn't working very well.

"Maybe I'm not just upset about my knives. Maybe I am angry because of dad decided to start letting strays into the house." Diego spat at Serenity, then stormed out of the room. Usually, Serenity wouldn't take bitter words to heart, but coming from someone she would have to live with until she was eighteen hurt her.

"Are you okay?" Serenity asked the short boy who was sitting on his bed with a tired look in his eyes. She couldn't blame him for looking so exhausted since Diego had woken them up before the sun had risen.

"I am alright." The boy replied quietly, not bothering to look up at the girl.

"What's your name?" Serenity asked. At this point, she wished that Mr.Hargreeves had told her who everyone was, but he must have figured that she would have benefited from learning on her own.

"Ben, but my number is Six," Ben mumbled in reply.

"Well Ben, we should both probably get back to bed. It was nice getting to talk with you." Serenity smiled and began to walk out of the room and back to hers.