Chapter Thirty

Louis studied her, he shouldn't have been so harsh, after all, she had done the right thing to come and get Aiden. She doesn't know how lucky she was to have not been more seriously hurt, he thought. How she had even got on the horse amazed him and then to have gotten to the scrub. He half smiled; she had more courage than some men he knew.

Louis's anger had been more relieved concern. He hadn't meant to yell at her or call her a foolish woman. He questioned if he'd ever make any progress with her. There was always something to cause a confrontation. He sighed, he'd really wanted to hold onto her and tell her everything was all right and was relieved when the blood on her face had only been smears from where she'd wiped her hand across it.

He watched as Jessica sat fiddling with the ripped edge of her skirt. What was she thinking he wondered? Her hair was tied loosely at the back of her head, some hanging in wisps over her shoulders and across her face. The blood smeared on her cheek only enhanced her beauty. Louis imagined what she would look like dressed in a ball gown. Perhaps he would buy her something better to dress in next time he went to Hobart Town. Something with colour, blue perhaps. He liked blue on women.

Jessica lifted her face toward him, their eyes met. Louis swallowed and his stomach churned. Just for a fleeting moment she held his stare and then looked away. It was enough. Louis felt his erection, which was half-grown, extend, and press hard against his trousers. He took a breath, stood from his leaning position and wiped his hand across his face. If only she knew the power she had over him. Louis smiled to himself again. If she knew, their roles would be reversed, and it would be he as servant. This thought left Louis feeling uneasy. No woman had ever made him feel or think this way before.

Jessica could hear Louis and George talking. She raised her eyes and looked between the strands of hair hanging over her face. They were finished the fence and were walking toward her. She felt so tired but hadn't dared fall asleep in fear of angering him again. He had told her to sit so that is what she had done.

"I'll leave you to finish up here, George. I best get back to the house."

"Aye, Master."

Jessica stood when they approached the wagon. She felt the twinge of nervousness in her stomach but neither man said anything to her. Louis poured water over his head. It ran down his chest leaving streaks over his body. He took his shirt, which hung over the wagon, wiped his face with it and then slid it over his head.

George busied himself loading the wagon with the tools and left over timber.

Louis untied his horse and climbed into the saddle, he rode around to where Jessica was standing.

She stood rigid with her back to him, expecting to be chastised once more, before he left.

"George, I'll go back through the scrub, it'll be quicker that way." He paused. "Will you keep an eye out for The White? He may have come out on the road."

"Aye you're probably right, Master. He's probably grazing over that side with the others."

They spoke as if they had forgotten she was there. Jessica felt the horse come closer. It was as if the horse had the same presence as the man who rode upon it.

Unexpectedly an arm circled her waist. She was lifted up and onto the animal. Jessica let out a squeal of shock and saw a smile of amusement cross George's face. She was now seated almost on the horse's neck, her chest heaved with anxiety. Louis moved back in the saddle and pulled her closer toward him. Jessica instinctively tried to push his arm from her waist.

"Sit still, woman," he commanded. "Do you want another fall? You might not be so lucky next time." Louis turned back to George. "See you back at the house." He kicked the horse into a canter as George raised his arm in acknowledgment.

At the horse's sudden movement Jessica gasped, and grabbed onto Louis's forearm. He smiled to himself; he could feel how tense she was and knew she was trying to place some distance between them.

Jessica let go of his forearm almost as quickly as she had grabbed it and reached for the horse's mane. He kept his arm around her waist and held onto the reins with one hand. The touch of his arm burnt through her clothing and made Jessica uncomfortable with the closeness of their bodies. Every movement the horse made brushed his chest against her back spiking her with sensations.

It didn't take long to reach the edge of the scrub. Louis slowed the horse to a fast walk and expertly directed it this way and that around the trees, with slight tugs of the reins. He was obviously very much in control of the animal and knew exactly where he wanted the horse to go. Jessica thought what a disaster her ride had been. She remembered the sarcastic smile on his face when she had blurted out that she was a good rider.

His hand moved to her outer thigh. She tensed, not knowing what he intended. Louis pulled her closer towards him. Her legs hung over his. He twisted her body so she now sat across in front of him. Jessica looked nervously at his face. He smiled at her but said nothing. She felt confused. When his hand was unexpectedly on her head, pushing her face into his chest, she tried to pull back.

He pushed harder saying, "For God's sake Jessica, keep your head down unless you want your eyes poked out." Louis bent over her ducking from a tree branch.

Jessica relented, understanding why he had pushed her closer to him. Her hands were held against his chest and her ear pressed against his heart. Her own heartbeat quickened as she sat rigid against him.

Once Louis realised she was going to stay where she was he took his hand from her head and placed it back around her waist. He liked having her close to him. He just wished she would relax. Louis smiled and took a deep breath. He could smell wood smoke in her hair. This compelled him to pull it away from her face. He pulled his own head back so he could look at her. "Are you comfortable?"

Jessica lifted her head to look briefly at him. "Yes," she whispered. Before she could say more he pushed her head back into his chest and leaned over her.

Louis ducked another branch and grinned as he said, "Good."

The word tickled her temple and spread through her body. Jessica liked the warmth of his body and the beat of his heart. She felt safe cradled against him and the steady rhythm of the horse's gait soothed her. Exhausted her body relaxed. She closed her eyes and breathed in the smell of his body odour. It didn't offend her but found it honest and comforting. It reminded her of her father when he came back from tending the horses. As she thought about this her eyes grew heavier.

Louis felt her relax against his chest. Perhaps he didn't repulse her as much as he thought he did. When the horse suddenly shied from a branch and she hadn't tensed, he realised she was asleep. Louis sighed and slowed the horse, not wanting to wake her. He pressed his hand to her waist. Louis smiled at how soft and warm she was. He lifted a strand of her hair and wished he could run his fingers through it.

Copyright© 2019 by Donna Fieldhouse. All rights reserved