Chapter Eighty

Louis had many preparations to make before he could leave Van Diemen's Land. He placed the handling of his branch of the Copeland Shipping Empire, in the hands of two of his trusted managers. Frank Fields and Charles Orson. Frank, a young man who had been working for him for some time had been acting as second to Charles, Louis' manager. Louis felt Frank being much younger would make decisions more readily in accordance with the needs of the people of Van Diemen's Land. Together they had innovation and experience. Louis wrote to Daniel in Melbourne to let him know of the situation, and the fact he did not know when he would be returning.

When Louis returned to Ashton House he explained the situation to Aiden, Alice and Mary.

"So, Aiden, I am asking you to manage Ashton House if it would suit both you and Alice to do so." Louis looked across the table at the couple. Alice was crying. Aiden shook his head in disbelief, and then turned to look at her.

"Well, Alice? It's your decision as much as mine. What do you say?"

She looked into Aiden's almost black eyes. "I love this place, Aiden and we have not the money yet to buy our own. I want to stay, but it is you who must take the responsibility."

Aiden yanked his head in a nod then turned back to face Louis with his hand held out. "It is done, Master. We shall be honoured to do as you ask."

"Thank you." Louis smiled at the man he considered more family than friend. "I have arranged for George and Gabrielle to come back to live. You and Alice shall move into the big house. Choose any of the rooms you wish. George, Gabrielle and young Georgie will live in the gate house." He turned to Mary and placed his hand on her shoulder. "Mary I have arranged to have you assigned to Aiden, so you will not be moved. When I get to England I shall search for your people and let them know you are well."

Mary gulped back the lump in her throat. She brought her apron up to her eyes to dab away the tears.

"You have served almost two years of your term and will soon receive a ticket of leave. If this happens while I am away, you shall be kept on as cook if this is what you desire. Gabrielle will handle the paper work. She is quite capable and if there are any problems, Doctor Wells has agreed to advise you all." Louis looked at them and smiled. "I have complete confidence in you all and am sure there will be no problems."

*****

He left them two weeks later almost one month after Jessica's departure. Louis had another month wait before he could board a ship bound for Ireland. He intended to go straight there knowing full well, if he was going to find Jessica, that's where she would be.

By the time he'd finally leave Van Diemen's Land Louis would be at least two months behind Jessica. However, he knew if either ship was becalmed, it could alter the time frame drastically.

Before he left he had one last thing to do. Make arrangements for Rachel. He had already informed her of his decision to marry Jessica, and had explained to her that he would support her and the child. She had not been pleased and had slapped him across the face and ordered him from her lodgings.

When he reached Hobart Town, he would buy her a house and set up a trust with his banker for the child. He and Rachel had shared some good times, but she knew as well as he that was all they were, good times, now ended.

When Louis arrived at Edward and Kathleen's, Kathleen could not stop smiling. He looked at her oddly. She was normally a very composed woman. "Why have you the look of a cat that has just caught a mouse, Kathleen?" he asked.

She took him by the arm and walked with him into the library. Edward followed behind. "Oh, Louis. I have some news I think you will be very pleased to hear. First you must sit down and get settled with a cool drink after your journey."

Louis looked over his shoulder and frowned at Edward who beamed at him.

"Let her have her fun, Louis. All will be disclosed." Edward wiggled his fingers as if he were a magician about to work some magic.

Louis humoured Kathleen. He took a drink and settled back in one of the armchairs. "Kathleen." He grinned. "What's going on? This news has you in a state that I've never witnessed before?"

She leaned forward in her chair as if no one else must hear what she had to say. Louis did the same.

"Rachel Templeton is marrying The Honourable Sir Richard Standing," she said.

When Louis didn't say anything, but screwed up his face in confusion, Kathleen added, "She has told him the same story she has told you. That she is carrying his child." Kathleen sat up, folded her arms across her chest and nodded curtly. "I would suggest Mrs. Templeton does not know who the father of her child is. When you refused to marry her she moved onto the next of her lovers." She huffed and added, "It is my guess, that if Sir Standing had refused Rachel she would have put it onto someone else." Kathleen leaned back in her chair with a very contented look on her face, expecting to see a smile on Louis's. Her own contentment changed when she saw anger and hate shadow his features. She leaned forward once more and gripped his forearm. "What is the matter, Louis? I thought this news would please you."

Louis's expression softened. He took her hand in his. "I am sorry Kathleen, it does. Knowing Rachel and her possible phantom child are the reason Jessica has left me fills me with so much...." He left his words hanging as he lifted his glass and gulped his drink in shear frustration.

"You bastard!" Rachel screamed as her hand stung his cheek. His face remained emotionless, but she saw his eyes dilate in anger as she spat, "I will be second to no one! Especially a convict whore!"

Louis lifted his lip in a sneer. "If she is a whore, what do you think you are, Rachel? Considering you have spread your legs for more men than I can count on one hand."

She slapped him again. "I shall ruin you, Louis Copeland!"

Copyright © 2019 Donna Fieldhouse. All rights reserved.

I can't believe  the original of this book is 37 chapters long. Not that I've added anything to it, in fact I've cut huge amounts. The difference is I've cut up my original chapters to suit Wattpad's advice that shorter chapters make for easier reading on devices. Which I have to say I completely agree with.  

It turns out I was a very enthusiastic writer in my early beginnings. Each original chapter is around 5000 words each. I've been trying to keep them between 1000 and 1400 for Wattpad.

I hope you're enjoying the story. Thanks so much for reading, voting and commenting. xoxo