Chapter Eighty-Six

The next morning Louis stood awkwardly in front of the small mirror in his cabin, shaving and naked to the waist, his skin golden brown from the sun. He worked with the men most mornings, scrubbing the deck, repairing sails, whatever needed to be done. Anything to alleviate the boredom. Since his conversation with Mrs. Charmers, Louis had tried to avoid being in any situations where she could broach the subject of her granddaughter again. In the evenings, he made his good-nights early so she couldn't ask him to stroll on deck with Sarah. He did not want to give either lady any reason to think he had other intentions. The situation the day before had not pleased him. Louis hated it when other people organized him and that is what he felt Mrs. Charmers had done.

He cursed as the ship rolled, causing him to nick himself with his razor. As he reached for his towel, a knock sounded on the door. Thinking it was Jasper, the cabin boy, he called for him to enter.

It was Sarah. Louis reached for his shirt and in doing so hit his head on the bulkhead above the mirror. He cursed softly.

Sarah tittered. "Oh, Louis, you poor thing," she cooed as she came to him, and then ran her fingers through his matted hair. "I see you have cut yourself too." She touched his chest where a drop of blood had gotten away from the cloth.

"Miss Charmers. What can I do for you?" he said as he removed her hand.

"Grandmother asked me to come and invite you to have tea with us on the deck." She reached out and stroked his chest once more. "Grandmother says we must thank you properly for looking after us in the storm and for taking me swimming yesterday."

Louis removed her hand with some force as he said, "Miss Charmers?"

Sarah pouted. "I could fix that cut for you," she said as she sidled closer.

Louis frowned at her and proceeded to pull his shirt over his head. "No thank you, it's fine." He reached for his comb.

"I can do that for you if you like."

Louis stepped away from her, but being the height he was and the cabin so small he didn't managed to create a lot of space between them. He prised her hand from his. "Sarah does your grandmother know you are here?"

"Oh yes." Sarah beamed as she moved her head up and down with enthusiasm. "She suggested that I should be very obliging to you."

Louis backed around the cabin to where his coat and footwear was beside the door. When he sat on the bunk to put his boots on, Sarah knelt in front of him.

"Please let me help you with those." She took the boot from his hand and held it out of his reach.

"No, thank you. I can do it myself," he said, but she insisted so Louis reluctantly held his foot out to her.

When she had slipped both boots on his feet she pushed his legs apart, knelt between them, and then ran her hands along his outer thighs. "Grandmother thought it might be nice if we spent some time together."

"Did your grandmother suggest you be as obliging as you are being?" He took hold of her wrists and pushed her hands away.

"More so." Sarah's face lit up as she added, "If that is what you would like."

Louis decided Sarah had less wit than he had accredited her with. He decided to be firm. "Your behaviour is not very becoming. If I was to be your future husband I would not want my future wife to be so forward. Please do not enter my cabin again."

Sarah jerked back on her haunches as if he had just hit her. Tears filled her eyes. "Grandmother said you would like this. She said it is what all men want."

Taken aback by her words Louis raised his eyebrows and said, "Then your grandmother is sadly mistaken. I would advise you to act on your own instinct in future." He stood, pulled her to her feet, and then offered her his handkerchief to wipe away her tears.

"I am so sorry, Louis. Finding a husband is all very new to me. I have not the experience other woman have. Please forgive me."

"Don't worry. I will not disclose this meeting to anyone." Louis felt sorry for her. He said, "Your grandmother has given you the wrong direction. If you remain the lady you have been already, I am sure it will not be too long before you find yourself a suitable husband. I, Sarah, am not the one, as your grandmother already knows. I have a fiancée and am travelling to Ireland to marry her."

"I did not know this." Sarah dabbed her eyes. "I'm so sorry. Grandmother led me to believe you had taken an interest in me." She handed him his handkerchief, stepped to the door and looked over her shoulder at him. "Thank you for being a gentleman, Louis."

*****

Louis sat politely with them and had tea. When they were finish he suggested Mrs. Charmers take a stroll around the deck with him. She agreed happily, obviously thinking Sarah's liaison with Louis had gone well.

"So, Louis, did my granddaughter thank you in the appropriate manner for helping us through the storm and taking her swimming?"

"A simple verbal thank you would have been sufficient," Louis said sternly.

"I am sure," she tittered. "That Sarah's manner would have been much more pleasing to you, Louis."

"This, my dear lady, is exactly what I wish to talk to you about. I rejected Sarah's advances this morning and do not think very highly of your methods of finding her a suitable husband."

Mrs. Charmers stopped walking and glared at him. "What are you suggesting, sir?"

"Nothing, Madam." Louis pinned her with his eyes as he admonished, "Please do not send Sarah to my cabin with any further expressions of thanks." He dipped his head in a curt bow. "You, madam may take my meaning anyway you like, just so long as my message is clear."

Copyright © 2019 Donna Fieldhouse. All rights reserved.

Poor silly Sarah. :(

Thank goodness Louis is a gentleman.

Old Mrs. Charmers needs a good shaking.

Thanks for readings ♥♥♥