Chapter Thirty-Five

He led Jessica into the hallway, where she tried to pull free from his grip. Louis held her arm tighter and only released her when he had closed the door of his study. "Why do you always cringe away from me, at my slightest touch?" He lifted the ruler from his desk, looked blankly at it in frustration, and then threw it back down where it belonged. "It is as if I am a leper, the way you shun me."

Jessica looked at the floor as she always did.

"Look at me!" He pushed the chair hard against the desk.

The noise made Jessica jump. She gasped in a breath and held it. Louis stood in front of her. Jessica couldn't move back as she was already against the filling cabinet.

"How hard is it, Jessica?" he asked softly. "How hard is it to treat me in a manner which is not hostile? Particularly today, so that we may all celebrate Aiden and Alice's marriage happily?"

Jessica was confused, in her mind it was he who was always hostile towards her. It was he who had insisted on holding her hand and why should she have to? "It is you, Sir, who are always hostile towards me." She kept her head hung as she spoke.

Louis laughed and tilted her head up with his finger. "How can you call sitting beside you on a pew or holding your hand hostile. It is your refusal of these things which I find hostile."

She lifted her eyes to meet his. Jessica swallowed before she spoke. "But why must I hold your hand or be seated so close to you that you are invading my person?"

Louis held her gaze and his breath in that moment. It was true. Why did she have to do those things? What answer would he give? "Because I want you to," he said.

Jessica cast her eyes to the floor to break the tension she felt looking into his eyes.

"Look at me, Jessica." When she wouldn't he added "Please."

It took her a moment but she looked up and caught her bottom lip between her teeth to hide her nervousness.

"Don't do that," Louis whispered. He put his thumb on her lip, eased it from her teeth, and then looked into her eyes. "You and I are the bridesmaid and the best man. I would like us to enjoy this wedding like any other bridesmaid and best man. I want to hold your hand, dance with you, and talk to you as others would. Is this too much to ask? Can we do this?"

"I do not feel comfortable holding your hand, Sir."

"Why?"

"I am a convict, Sir and your servant. You are a man of means with a reputation to uphold."

Louis chuckled and touched her gently on the cheek. "So, you are saying if I was a drunken sod, with no means, as you call it, then you would hold my hand and be glad to do so."

"That is not what I mean, Sir." Jessica smiled. Heat warmed her face and knowing she was blushing she had to look away.

"Then I think you have no argument. We shall walk from this room and you will hold my hand. Do not pull away from me. Please. I want us to enjoy this wedding as Aiden and Alice's bridesmaid and best man." He stepped back and held out his hand.

Jessica looked from it and at his face. He raised his eyebrows and tilted his head in question. She placed her hand in his. Louis led her from the room and into the kitchen. Here he released her and continued on his way outside. Jessica smiled to herself and half shook her head. She did not understand this man.

After the main meal had been eaten and the table cleared of dirty dishes, George pulled his harmonica from his pocket. "It's time for the bridal waltz," he said and waved his harmonica in the air.

"Father, will you please dance with Mary. Aiden and Alice, up you get. No one dances until you have done one full circuit around this wonderful dance floor." George pointed to the courtyard. Everyone laughed. Aiden and Alice took their places. When George got the notes right they began to dance. They looked adoringly into each other's eyes and didn't notice anybody else when they stood and also began to dance.

Louis held out his hand to Jessica. He raised his eyebrows when she hesitated and smiled when she stood and took his hand. Louis positioned her hand on his shoulder and placed one hand on her waist taking her other in his.

George played his best, but to play a waltz on a harmonica was a challenge. Once everyone had danced at least once around the courtyard he stopped. "Sorry people. The tempo shall now be lifted. The waltz is not played best on my harmonica, but the jig is very much suited."

Everyone laughed as they jigged and twirled on the courtyard. Jessica found it hard to keep in step with Louis and because she was laughing this made it harder still. "Master, your steps are much longer than mine. I cannot keep up," she said. The wine she had drunk with her meal was taking effect and she did not feel so intimidated by him.

Louis slowed his step and wrapped his arm around her waist, pulling her to him. "Is this some feeble excuse you are trying to make, so you don't have to dance with me?" He was trying to sound serious, but Jessica could see his eyes didn't convey what his mouth said. She beamed at him and laughed even more.

With her mouth wide in humour Louis couldn't help but stare at her in awe as the music of her laughter caressed his soul.

"No, Master. To dance with you has been a more pleasant experience than I expected it to be. I merely ask you to shorten your steps." Jessica sucked in her breath at the sound of her words. She did not mean to sound so forward and was embarrassed at having revealed she was enjoying dancing with him.

The warm glow, Louis felt, washed over him. He leant toward her and whispered in her ear. "To dance with you, has also been very pleasant, Jessica. Perhaps we should stop, in case we become friends." He watched her face colour, laughed and swung her in a circle before she could answer.

The cake was brought out to the table. Alice cried and hugged Mary tightly when she saw the figurines. "Oh! They're beautiful. How can I ever thank you, Mary? You have done the most wonderful job. The food has been splendid, the table beautiful, my bridesmaid beautiful and our guests the best company. This day has been more than I ever dreamed it would be." She placed her face in her hands and cried some more.

Aiden stood beside her and held her close to him. "It is the husband who is to make the speech, not the wife, but I couldn't make one better. Please a toast, to you all and the work you have put in to make this the wonderful wedding it has been."

They cheered and drank to the toast.

Louis stood then and made another toast, to the bride and groom. "And also to you, Mary. You deserve a toast all to yourself." He raised his glass.

Mary began to cry. She nodded her thanks and wiped the tears from her eyes. "Now," she said trying to sound stern. "Who shall have dessert?"

How wonderful is Mary?  She seems to be good at everything.

Do you think Louis is finally winning Jessica over? ♥♥♥

Copyright © 2019 Donna Fieldhouse. All rights reserved.