Chapter Fifty-One

Two weeks passed. Louis had been in a bad mood ever since Rachel's departure. There was no playful banter or mischievous smiles. He had become more master than he had ever been. His commands were harsh. If Jessica didn't respond quickly enough he reprimanded her severely. Everyone felt his wrath. The house became as dark as his mood.

Until the day a letter came.

It was marked urgent and arrived by special delivery, a courier on horseback.

The courier insisted on handing it to Louis personally.

Mary put her ear to the study door before knocking to hear Louis's raised voice, and then Jessica's pleading, "I am sorry, Master it was an accident."

"I am sick of your accidents," Louis denounced.  "I suggest that you are careless. Correct it at once!"

Mary waited until there was silence, and then timidly knocked on the door. He flung it opened, his face full of wrath. Mary quickly glanced at Jessica to see her head hung. Mary's heart went out to her. Jessica was the one who was being lashed by this storm that was going on inside of Louis. None of them could help her weather it. They could only offer comfort and sympathy. They had all noticed Jessica was withdrawing back into her shell and were worried she'd become the girl she was when she first came to them.

"What do you want, Mary?"

She cowered in front of him. "A courier is here, Sir. With a letter. He says he has been instructed to give it only to you."

Louis drew a deep breath in annoyance and flung his arms in the air. "Well send him in for God's sake!"

Mary scurried off and returned with the man. Louis took the letter and glanced at the writing. It was from Edward. He nudged his head at Mary. "Feed this man and give him a bed!" He didn't slam the door as expected but closed it while staring at the envelope. Louis sat in his chair forgetting Jessica was there.

She sat as still as she could and concentrated on her work. Jessica wished she could disappear and hoped it wasn't bad news.

Dear Louis,

In reference to our last conversation.

The woman in question has arrived. I am afraid it is two months earlier than expected and hope this is not an inconvenience to you. I have the necessary documents in order.

She has, in her care, a son who looks to me to be around the age of ten. I was led to believe this child had died, but it now seems my sources were wrong. They have been housed until your arrival.

I have also acquired some new information, which I think you will be very interested in, concerning the convict, Jessica Reily. There are some matters still to be cleared up in this case. And may I add, the quicker the better, the Lady Templeton has spoken unfavourable of this situation and has labeled you Lucifer himself.

Signed,

Your Humble Servant,

Edward Logan.

Louis chuckled, folded the letter and leaned back in his chair. Jessica watched him from the corner of her eye. She eased out the breath she had been holding. It wasn't bad news. She bent forward over her books, anxious to complete the tasks he had set her.

Louis glanced across at Jessica. His face softened. He knew he had been difficult. She probably hated him with vengeance. When he thought of it now, he didn't know why he had become so angry with her. With all of them in fact.

Rachel?

It all came down to Rachel and the threats she had made. As if she could destroy him. Louis's mouth turned up in a sneer. How blind he had been to her, fool he was. Her good looks and eagerness to come to his bed had taken him in. Her actions against Jessica had made him realise how cold and calculating she really was.

Jessica. Sweet and innocent, had become the target for his anger. He ran his hands through his hair, looked toward the ceiling, and sighed loudly. He would somehow make it up to her.

At the sound of his breath releasing Jessica turned to look at him. He was so handsome and even though she hated how he had been for the last few weeks, she did not hate him. She supposed he must have been in love with Rachel Templeton and because of her, they had argued and Rachel had left. It was right for Master Louis to take it out on her, since she had been the cause for his loss.

Lost in her thoughts, Jessica didn't realise Louis was looking at her until he spoke.

"Are you finished, Jessica?"

She gasped, "No, Master." Jessica hurriedly turned back to her books.

"You have a question?"

She glanced at him. "No, Master." Jessica focused back to her books.

"Then why are you looking at me with a frown on your face?"

Jessica stared at the books. Her heart pounded as she struggled to find an answer. "I don't know, Master."

"You don't know?"

"No sir, I don't know." Jessica pushed her palms hard against the pages of the journal to prepare for the onslaught she felt was coming.

"Do you hate me, Jessica?"

She eased the pressure on her hands, sat straight in her chair, staring at the books, but not seeing them. "No, Master."

"Why not?"

"I don't know, Sir."

"If I were you I'm sure I would hate me."

She heard his chair scrape on the floor as he stood and his footsteps as he came towards her.

He stood behind her and lifted some strands of her hair. "You have beautiful hair," he whispered.

Jessica didn't answer. She was afraid of this change in him. Glad for it yet, still afraid.

Louis moved to her side, took hold of her hand and pulled her to her feet. She looked to the floor. He tilted her face up so she would look at him. "I am very sorry for the way I have treated you lately."

Jessica gave him a sheepish smile and said, "There you go again, Master. Apologizing when I have not asked for an apology."

Louis sighed and pulled her to him. He wrapped her in his arms and buried his face in her hair. Jessica allowed him to hold her like this.

She did not hold him back.

Sorry for the overload of updates in one go.

It's just that I take so long to update so think you deserve more than one when I finally do get around to it.

Thank you so much for continuing to read.  I hope you're enjoying Jessica and the gangs story. xoxo

Copyright© 2019 Donna Fieldhouse. All rightsreserved.