Chapter Sixty-Nine

George pushed himself through the crowd. When he saw it was Jessica who Pead was tormenting, his emotions took over. George stepped forward and grabbed Pead by the shoulder.

"Leave her alone, Pead. She's done naught wrong!"

Pead turned and shrugged George's hand away. "Stay out of this Withers, unless you want to jeopardize your freedom."

"She's done no harm. Has acted in good faith for the sake of a child." George held his hands out to Pead. "What sort of man are you?"

"Out of my way man!" Pead pushed George and holding onto Jessica's arm made his way through the crowd. "Go on the lot of you!" He flapped his hand at the crowd. "The shows over. Get back to your lives!" The people slowly parted as Pead dragged Jessica behind him.

"Pead!" George followed and shouted, "Let her go!"

"Yeah old man." Pead laughed. "As if you have the right to tell me what to do." He continued on his way with Jessica stumbling behind him.

"Have you always been such a bastard, Pead? Have you always had no heart? What you do is worse than most of the crimes half the people who are convicts have ever done!" George yelled.

Pead stopped and turned to face him. "Keep your mouth shut, Withers unless you want a month in the cells." He turned to continue on his way.

"You're gutless, Pead! You hide behind your title, whip and cane! Let me prove to these people what a sad wretch you really are!" George spat on the ground and held his fists up in front of him.

The crowd gathered once more. Many grinned, folded their arms in front of them and stared at Pead waiting for his response.

Pead looked from George to the crowd. He scanned their faces, looking for someone who would assist him. He spied a man in the second row. "Garmay, take hold of Withers and bring him to the cells!" He pointed at George. "You've had your chance, Withers. I won't put up with this!" Pead looked back at Garmay. "Well, man what are you waiting for?"

"No, Pead." Garmay shook his head and folded his arms across his chest. "I reckon George is right. You'll nay have any help from me."

Pead glared at him then looked for another familiar face. "Jones!"

"Nor I, Pead!" the man yelled.

George smiled. "Seems you don't have many friends, Pead." He held his fists in front of him once more. "Let's see what sort of man you are."

"No, George," Jessica cried. "Don't sacrifice your freedom. I'll be fine. He can't hurt me anymore."

"This is so sickening." Pead sneered at her. "Enough to make me want to vomit." He laughed and looked over at George. "Withers I'll show you how I can't hurt her anymore!" He spun back to face Jessica and punched her hard in the stomach. When she buckled over in pain he backhanded her across the face. The force dropped Jessica to the ground. Pead brought his boot back and was about to sink it into Jessica's side as George lunged and Louis pushed through the crowd.

Louis stepped over Jessica placing himself between her and Pead. "I wouldn't do that if I were you." He smiled sinisterly at the muster master.

Pead shook with anger, his violent frenzy cut short. Sweat ran down his face. "So the illustrious master comes to the rescue!" he spat the words at Louis and then added, "Get out of my way, Louis and let me do my duty."

"And what duty would that be, Pead? I see no duty being done here today."

"She has no pass and her assignment to you will be annulled. You are too soft with your convicts, Copeland."

"I see no evidence that I am too easy on my assigned convicts. They do as they are asked and give me no trouble."

"Well what is this?" Pead screamed. "One of your convicts, at her own leisure, decides to take a ride into town! And holds no pass!"

Louis smiled casually. "She had no need for a pass, Pead. I have been with her the whole time."

"Now you lie for her." Pead sneered. "What is it, Louis? Her cunny must be sweet."

Louis slammed his fist into Pead's mouth, knocking him to the ground.

Pead wiped the blood from his lips with the back of his hand and stumbled to his feet. "You will not get away with this."

"Really, Pead? And how do you intend to stop me?" Louis lashed out once more and caught Pead in the chest with his knuckles.

Pead gasped for air and staggered backwards. He slipped his cane from his belt and slashed it through the air at Louis.

Louis ducked and yelled, "George! Take Jessica to Gabrielle!" Seeing George nod Louis stood ready facing Pead once more. "Put down your cane and fight me like a man."

"Fight you like a man?" Pead snarled. "Only fools fight like a man!" He swung the cane once more and caught Louis across the face. A welt appeared instantly and the blow left Louis stunned long enough for Pead to have time to lash out again, this time catching Louis across the shoulder.

Anger surged through Louis. He stepped forward and grabbed the cane. Both men held on tight. They wrestled for possession until Louis finally won over. He threw it some distance away and then took hold of Pead's throat. "Now Pead lets see you fight without your weapon," Louis seethed through his clenched teeth.

Pead laughed as he drove his dagger into Louis's side. He laughed more when he saw the look of horror on Louis's face. And again when he twisted the knife as he withdrew it from Louis's body. Pead stepped back as Louis fell to his knees. He brought his boot up and kicked Louis hard in the face.

Louis did not feel the force of the blow.

Louis no longer felt anything.

OMG!!! Not Louis ♥♥♥

Copyright © 2019 Donna Fieldhouse. All rights reserved.