Part 9

Dawnflower's kits tumbled and scramble outside of the nursery, Hawkfrost placed his tail neatly on his white paws.

"Hawkfrost, you're on patrol for hunting." Stormfur's meow somewhat startled the dark brown tabby, but he sighed and got up.

"Hurry now, Hawkfrost. I heard prey is richer in the morning because of the food they eat." Feathertail waited for the dark tabby, her blue eyes gleamed with something that has once shone in Ivypool. Just thinking of the sick and weak silver and white tabby made Hawkfrost sad, knowing she might not make it.

"You seem bothered. Is something wrong?" Feathertail asked beside him, her blue eyes shining with worry.

"It's Ivypool. She means so much to me and her leaving my side won't help. I'll become even sadder if StarClan does take her." Hawkfrost was aware of Feathertail shifting closer with every paw step.

"I know how it feels like to lose someone special. I remember losing Silverstream back in the old forest."

"But you never had a strong bond with her."

"That doesn't mean I love her."

"But how would you know what love feels or is like? Have you ever been or have loved?"

"I have been both. Things aren't black or white, Hawkfrost. You have to understand that." Feathertail twined her tail with his and got close, REAL close.

"W-What are you doing?!"

"Giving you something Ivypool may never give you since StarClan wants to claim her." Feathertail said in a sweet voice.

"Are you calling death upon her?!"

"Why not? She did steal you from me."

"That doesn't mean you can call death upon someone!"

"It's not death, Hawky. Death is black and life is white. Grey is that sweet vengeance you want."

"You have no heart. I was interested in you back before, but maybe I regret that." Hawkfrost pulled away from shocked Feathertail and trotted to his clan mates, trying to forget what Feathertail was wishing and calling for.

***

Stormfur takes forever to hunt some stupid piece of fresh-kill. Hawkfrost growled in frustration while he, Feathertail, Heavystep, and Primroseheart waited for the dark grey tom.

"Sorry. Some Twoleg scent caught my attention." Stormfur slithered beside Feathertail, not giving eye contact to the snow-white underbelly tom. Yeah. At least for once, that fish-brained tom won't give me those ugly stares of his. Hawkfrost started to flick his tail impatiently and fought the urge to not slice the tom's ears.

"Let's go now." Stormfur realized Hawkfrost's impatience, only making him angrier. Although he was furious at the dark grey tom, his thoughts drifted to Ivypool. Two nights ago, she had claimed that he had the right to call her his, making Hawkfrost happy, but still worried and panicked for the small and wiry silver and white tabby she-cat. I hope she's doing fine without me. Hawkfrost thought of the weak and sick she-cat. Primroseheart padded beside Hawkfrost, her pelt bristling in thought. I'm pretty sure she's thinking about the Twoleg scent that Stormfur reported earlier. Hawkfrost felt a cold ripple down his spine.

At last, the hunting patrol made it back to camp. Hawkfrost placed his fresh-kill into the pile and headed to the medicine cat den, where Mothwing's golden tabby pelt was bristling.

"Is everything okay?" Hawkfrost tipped his head, but the she-cat didn't say anything and only looked at Ivypool. Hawkfrost snorted and padded to his mate, or at least according to Ivypool. She was stone cold when he placed his paw on her head.

"Mothwing? Why is she cold?" Hawkfrost swung his head towards the golden tabby, whose amber eyes were filled with grief.

"I'm pretty sure she died in her sleep. I'm sorry, I really am." Mothwing whispered, her voice cracking.

"D-Died? Y-You're lying to me!" Hawkfrost looked at Ivypool, who was in the same position as last night, then at Mothwing.

"I'm not lying, Hawkfrost. Death is something serious." Mothwing whimpered.

Hawkfrost ran to Ivypool's aid, "No, no, no! Ivypool, you promised you wouldn't leave me. How can I live without you?"

"I'm sorry Hawkfrost. I know she meant a lot to you." Mothwing sat beside him and put her tail on his shoulders.

"She saved me. S-She saved me from Tigerstar and I couldn't thank her anymore."

"I don't know how I'll live without her. Feed me deathberries or something."

"Don't say that, Hawk! You have a life to live!"

"And so did she!"

"You shouldn't think about death over some she-cat!"

"I can if I want. I just want to be next to Ivypool again." Hawkfrost settled beside the cold she-cat and licked her head.

"I know you're doing fine in StarClan, my love."