Prologue

A hooded figure let out a soft sigh as she swung her legs back and forth from atop the building she was sitting. Silvery wisps of white hair flew out from her hood as the wind blew loudly at the high spot. At the present moment, she was watching Detective Naomasa Tsukauchi place his hands on his knees, panting in exhaustion as he stood in the alleyway below.

Naomasa and almost the rest of the police force had been chasing after the female all night. They had been planning this for months. And yet, like always, she seemed to find a way to escape. The dark, urban setting had been to her advantage after all. She rarely ever showed herself in the daylight, and could land surprise attacks with ease. She was known as the number one vigilante for a reason.

"Apologies, Detective," She spoke with a light, airy, pleasant tone as she commented on the man's exhausted state. Surprised at the sudden and unexpected commentary, Naomasa could only look as he finally noticed her in all her mysterious glory. He had been under the impression that she had already disappeared into the shadows of the night by this point. "I didn't realize this little chase would last for so long. I should start giving you guys more credit! I never would have imagined that you guys would have come so close to actually catching me."

In all actuality, though, they were nowhere close catching her.

Naomasa already knew that.

"And yet," The detective sighed, slouching a bit as he made an attempt to calm his fast heart rate. "You always manage to slip away. You truly are an enigma, Shirokage. In both your strength and your thought processes You really are..."

Detective Naomasa had been dealing with the case of the newly dubbed Shirokage for almost three years, and he still knew next to nothing about her. She was an expert at covering her tracks, and she never let slip any information that might endanger her true identity. She was a mystery in every way possible.

"Sorry about that," Shirokage once again apologized, giving a light, unnoticeable smile that was hidden by a full face gas mask. She was never seen without it, so the only distinguishable features she had were her silvery white hair, her thin figure, and bright, icy blue eyes that were just barely discernable through the mask. Her lithe movements seemed almost dangerous as she dropped from the building and landed in a quiet crouch in front of the tired detective. "But I like to think that I'm entitled to my secrets."

And secrets she had.

She had more information in her head on villains and heroes than even the government. She had information on fellow vigilantes and even hopeful heroes that attend schools such as U.A. However, it's not as though she kept all of her information a secret. She would often drop off files at the police station containing information on different villains and their activities. So, while she kept the mystery surrounding herself, she had no problem unraveling the mysteries of others and exposing them to the world.

"As true as that may be," Speaking of truth, Naomasa couldn't deny that Shirokage was probably one of the most honest criminals, or vigilante as she liked to point out, that he knew. He had never once heard her tell a lie in his presence. And he was the best person to confirm that given his quirk. "It still doesn't make it easy to understand why you chose to become a vigilante over a hero. Unlike other vigilantes, you follow the same rules as heroes, and you refuse to hurt those that try to arrest you. In fact, you barely even harm the villains you capture."

"Well," Shirokage sighed, leaning against one of the brick walls as she closed her eyes. She was honestly a bit tired herself. Not that she'd ever admit it. She didn't have the luxury to show any weakness. "As ironic as it is, I am against violence. As for why I don't become a hero... I don't deserve that title. I never have, and I never will..."

She would deny this as well, but she had always dreamed of being a hero. And yet, it was an aspiration that just seemed unachievable for her. She knew that she'd never be able to live with herself if she became a hero with the secrets she kept. Of course, Naomasa knew nothing of her reasoning and could only frown at her response. He could tell that she truly believed in her words. It raised all the more questions that he wasn't sure he even wanted to know.

"That matter aside," Naomasa sweat dropped as he heard the sudden shift in Shirokage's tone of voice. It sounded mischievous, and he could already tell what was coming. It was inevitable. He didn't even need to see her voice to be able to tell that she was smirking. "You look a little tired. Don't tell me you're starting to get a bit old?"

Naomasa wasn't even offended. At this point in time, he had grown accustomed to her teasing. She often started this routine whenever she wanted to change the subject. The detective could only assume that it was one of her methods of coping. A method of coping as well as a way of keeping her secrets secret. So, at this point, all Naomasa could do was sigh.

"I wish I could say the same to you." It was true. Shirokage most definitely seemed young. If Naomasa had to guess, he would say the vigilante was only in her twenties. She definitely had the figure and spunk of someone that young.

"Well," Shirokage let out a small chuckle at the man's response. "I'm an entirely different story."

Naomasa didn't even know the full extent of that truth.

Though, he wasn't particularly surprised or frightened when he was enveloped in white flames. Carefully, Shirokage kicked off the wall and began heading in his direction. Anybody looking from the outside may think that Shirokage's fire would be harming Naomasa, but it was quite the opposite. The warm, white fire sent a feeling of relief down the man's spine. It was one of the most comforting things he had felt all day. And, like everything else, this had also become a routine.

She always made sure to heal those on the police force that came after her.

And, if those on the police force were being honest, Shirokage made it very hard for them to even want to catch her. They couldn't deny that Shirokage's healing made them feel more relaxed than any other time. And with their job working with the police, they were almost strangers to relaxation.

"Consider this an apology for not allowing you to catch me." She always said that too. She was always apologizing.

And the police force found that a bit sad.

If she had chosen to become a hero, they were sure that they would have loved working with her. They didn't even mind her spunk and minor teasing. Though, they could probably do without her puns.

It was a shame that they were in charge of arresting her.

****

****

1210 words excluding A/N

You guys got those twenty comments really fast!

Finished- 8:21 pm on February 21, 2019

Bye~