Chapter Twelve: The "Surprise"

ME: hey

Aali Bear 🐻: 👋🏼

ME: whatcha doin?

Aali Bear 🐻: watching yt

ME: cool same I gotta get ready for school in like 2 min

Aali Bear 🐻: ok!! Good luck w the whole surprise thing

ME: thx, bye

Aali Bear 🐻: 😘

I sigh. I feel like the "surprise" is gonna be something not fun. But then why would it be a surprise? My parents looked kinda suspicious to me.

I get dressed and decide to wear this outfit:

Then I brush my teeth and go downstairs for breakfast

"Hey, Mom," I say to her.

"Hey Hay," she replies. She's just standing there smiling at me.

I can't TAKE IT ANYMORE. "What's my surprise??"

She just smiles more. "You'll find out soon enough. It'll be here when you come home from school."

"Okay," I say, reluctant.

Mom hands me a plate of bacon and eggs and I gobble it up. I still have 15 minutes, so I go to my room.

ME: random q lol, what did u guys have for breakfast? I had eggs 🍳 and bacon 🥓 😋

Aali Bear 🐻: pancakes

SYMPHONY: SAME ME TOO sorry for caps lol

TXU💋: cereal 🥣 😂

Coco Quinn: same haha

SYMPHONY: LOL

ME: well I need 2 get ready 4 school so I gots to go. Cya! 😘💕

Aali Bear 🐻: 👋🏼 bye

SYMPHONY: GOODBYE

Coco Quinn: cu soon! xx

I watch YouTube for like 5 minutes and then we're off.

Mom drives me to school and the day feels SOOO LONG. It's math right now, and usually I love math but right now I'm just really annoyed. So I do this thing where I pass notes with someone random. Just listen.

I write a note that says:

Hello, person that got this note!

I am so bored, so I'm passing notes lol. Write back to me, whoever you are.

Hayley L.

I give the note to the person behind me over my head and whisper, "Pass this 2 seats to your left." I don't even know who's behind me, and who sits 2 seats to his or her left. They take it, and I'm waiting for a response. Finally, I get one.

I open it up.

Hey HAYLEY L.

SO GLAD I HEARD YOUR QUITTING BRATAYLEY!

HA HA!

Ferni

No way am I gonna look behind me now. I'm never doing this stupid note thing again.

To make matters worse, Ferni tells the teacher and shows her the note, and now I have detention. Yeah.

Thanks, Ferni Weber.

You think things can't get any worse. Nope.

Well it just did.

ITS GONNA TAKE EVEN LONGER FOR ME TO GET MY SURPRISE!

You have GOT to be kidding me!

I groan loud and now the teacher's more mad at me but do I really care?

Finally, finally, FINALLY school and detention are over.

And I can get my surprise.

It really does seem important.

I rush to Mom's car. "Drive fast! Speed!"

She laughs. "Cmon, Hayley. You'll know just in time."

We finally get to the house and I'm about to open the door when Mom stops me.

"What is it NOW?" I cry.

"Sorry, Hay. I just wanted to let you know that maybe we should've just told you. Maybe it shouldn't have been a surprise."

"Well, it's kinda late for that now," I say. "Come on! Let's see it!"

"Actually, it's not," Mom says. "You see, Daddy and I have been thinking. We need a change in things. Ever since your siblings died, nothing has been the same, and Bratayley has been distant than ever. But, we think we can make make this work, and Bratayley could possibly be a thing again."

I throw my hands up. "Make WHAT work?? Just TELL ME!"

"Okay, okay. I cut right to the chase. We've decided we'd like to adopt."

I couldn't believe what I was hearing. Adopt? Meaning I'll have siblings again? Meaning everything will be happy like it was?

"Your dad and I have chosen to adopt 2 girls," Mom continued. "The first one is Sawyer. She's 6 and likes to sing and color. The second one is Mia. She's 4 and is a level 2 gymnast. I'll be putting Sawyer in singing classes and Mia in gymnastics."

Suddenly I remember those comments.

"It was fun when they did gymnastics."

And for the first time today. I smile. Wide.

Mom reads my mind and smiles too.

"Let's go meet them."

I nod.

Inside is Dad with 2 young girls. Sawyer has long blond hair and smiles a cute little smile. Mia has curly light brown hair, kinda like when I was that age.

Both of them are adorable.

"Hi, guys," I say. "I'm Hayley Noelle LeBlanc."

Sawyer steps forward a bit and says, "Well now, I'm Sawyer Grace LeBlanc now and this is my sister, Mia Sade LeBlanc." She smiles and I do too.

"Pretty names," I say. "Do you wanna come see my room?" They nod and I think this is the start of a new bond.