Chapter 5

It's not right, she saved me. I looked down at my forepaws, where I hid the scars from view. If it wasn't for her, I wouldn't be alive. Looking at the ground from the roof, I thought, if I flew it would be harder for them to catch me. I jumped off and glided swiftly to the cement. I would rather hit the cement than touch the grass. I flew through the air, then stopped noticing a lab

"I'm not sure what she is, a cat, bird, fox?" Hank said.

"A mutant" Charles replied. Hank almost rolled his eyes. He had me drawn out, my dark blue wings, fox fore, and hind paws, fox ears, and tail. He even had a diagram of how I walked with human features, and animal features. Where had I seen that before? My mind went blank, I felt something hit my side.

I woke up in some kind of room, with machines, and monitors. Darting out of the room, Charles stood in the hall.

I froze, what should I do? I closed my eyes waiting for the hot metal chains. 

"You must have been de-hydrated" He said in a calming voice. He handed me a bottle of water, I placed it beside his wheel-chair. Charles sighed and continued rolling down the hall.

"Peter, I'm going to need your help" Charles said, leading Peter into a small, room, ornamented with small collector's items. I walked over to the closed door, ears raised to hear their muffled voices. 

"Do you know if she has a name?" Charles questioned.

"I don't know her Charles" Peter replied, his voice sounded lifeless.

"Well, clearly she knows you." Charles said. I hesitated, should I tell him, maybe he could   help. If anything goes wrong Peter is in there, but he's changed, was it Firefly?

"My name is Freak, and Penny, cause that's all I was ever worth. Firefly saved my life whether she knew it, or not." I said quietly. Peter lifted his head at the sound of her name.

"It's in your memory Peter, look further than her." I said, Charles raised two fingers.

"Peter... She sacrificed herself for you and Bo. She even saved someone without knowing it."Charles said, his expression told me he knew her, Peter's eyes watered.

Charles turned to me.

"That isn't true about you, what they did was wrong" My eyes watered with fear.

"I just want you to know your safe here." The wooden door opened, I ran behind Peter.

"Hank, it's worse than we thought" 

"They hung her by her wings and neck, using hot, burning chains."

"They let her go when they saw Peter, ...and Firefly." Peter looked at my neck noticing the chain marks pressed into my skin, a reminder, to never forget.

"Just remember, we're all mutants" Charles said smiling.

"Not me. I'm something else Charles." I turned and flew out the door.