Chapter 12: Confession

We drove away from the compound until I honestly didn't know where we were. I recognized a diner out of the corner of my eye, so I pulled over.

"I think the freaks are gone," I said, not looking Dylan in the eye.

"Listen," she began. "I'm sorry that I sided with Daniel, against you. But, I think I can tell you what happened."

"Fine." I took off my seatbelt and faced Dylan.

"My mother died when my sister and I were little."

"Dylan, I'm so sorry," I said, immediately forgetting that I was mad at her.

"My dad became a hopeless drink a couple of years ago. He abused me and my sister; well, actually just me because I wouldn't let him lay a finger on Peyton."

"That's awful," I protested. "Are you okay?" She nodded.

"Last week, I got government papers and some shit that makes me the owner of the house and gives me custody of my sister, because I'm 19 or whatever."

"Oof, don't tell your father that," I chuckled. Her face fell.

"My dad used to work at the oil drill factory, the one in Anaheim. Peyton and I drove down there, and we told him, and we ended up trying to shoot at him." My eyes widened, but I let her talk.

"The bullet grazed his shoulder, but landed in the oil field, whatever you call them. It caught fire, and a couple of the oil pumps exploded."

"Wait wait wait," I interrupted. "So basically, you caused all of this?"

"Yes and no," she said, tilting her head. "I caused the explosions and the toxic oil residue in the air. The big fires started before that, though."

"So, what happened to your sister?"

"I haven't seen her. We drove away before the explosions, but by the time they hit us, we got separated." Dylan looked down and I could see tears forming in her green eyes. "Corbyn, I'm scared. I don't know what could happen to her."

"Everything will be okay, Dyl," I said, embracing her. "I'm sure she's strong, like you."

"She is, but I've looked after her my whole life. It's only luck that I came across you and the guys."

"On which subject, I think it's safe to drive home now, right?"

"I think so, yeah." Dylan wiped her eyes and pulled away. I put my seatbelt back on and started the Jeep.

"Corbs," she hesitated. "You're not mad anymore, are you?"

"No," I said. "I kind of just overreacted. I do that sometimes."

new chapter yeet. it's been a hot minute. also i just finished my first wattpad story "Side by Side" so go check it out! love ya💖