Chapter 17: Ghostin

The next morning I woke up to hear Jonah talking to Dylan. Shit, shit, shit he likes her. I leaped out of bed and ran downstairs, hoping to catch part of their conversation.

"Dylan, are you and Corbyn, like, a thing?" Jonah asked her. Shit. I waited for her response.

"N-no," she stuttered. "Not yet." That made me smile. So she does want to be with me.

"Well, see," Jonah began. "I just want to let you know that...uh...I like you, too."

Dylan sighed. "Jesus, I need a break from all these men trying to hit on me," she said. "You would think that during an apocalypse I wouldn't have to deal with any of this." She laughed.

"I'm sorry, Dyl," Jonah replied. Only I can call her Dyl. "You're really charming, unlike any girl that I've ever met. I'm sure Corbyn feels the same." Hell yeah I do.

"Okay, well," Dylan said. I could tell she had her thinking face on. "I'm not sure what you want me to do."

"You need to choose one of us," Jonah explained, cool as a cucumber. Oh no he didn't. "Me or Corbyn. Or, I guess, Jace counts, too."

"Jace isn't a part of this," Dylan rebounded. Thank God. "But, I don't need to choose."

"What do you mean?" Jonah asked, his voice sounding defeated. My heart started to drop.

"I don't need to choose, because my heart has already chosen for me," she softly explained. "I'm sorry Jonah, though I wish that he were here instead, don't want that living in your head."

"Dylan, w-what are you saying?"

"I don't want you guys to fight over me," she replied. "I can't tear apart your friendship, but we'll get through this, we'll get past this."

"Dylan, you couldn't break anyone's friendship," Jonah said. "But just be sure who you choose is the one."

"I'm putting you through more than one ever should, I mean, during the apocalypse there could be so much better news," she described. "I'm hating myself because you don't admit that it hurts you."

"Yeah," Jonah whispered. "It does hurt me."

"Which is why I need to figure out how I'm gonna escape all of this," she said. "Excuse me."

She walked out the door and came face-to-face with me. She jumped and looked up at me with guilt and fear in her eyes.

"C-Corbyn," she muttered.

"I heard everything you said," I told her. "Can I talk to you for a second?" She nodded and followed me into my bedroom.

"Listen, Dyl," I began. "I know you don't want to break anyone's heart, but-"

"Stop," she interrupted. "I can't do anything with right now. I like you, a lot, but I can't do anything yet. I'm sorry, but we'll both have to wait until everything works itself out."

"I-I understand," I reluctantly whispered. "I-I love you."

"I love you," she said, looking down at her shoes. "We'll get past this." I nodded, letting a tear fall from my eye.

"Can I kiss you?" I asked. "I just need something to keep me going."

She slowly nodded. I leaned my head down, she titled hers up. We left our eyes fall shut, and closed the space in between us. I pressed my lips to hers and passionately yet sadly shared the kiss. She tasted like vanilla or something sweet and her kiss was so soft and gentle, despite her fierce and badass appearance. After a few seconds, we pulled away, looking at each other with despair.

"I know it will break your heart when I cry again," she mumbled. "'Stead of ghostin' you and him."

here's a new twist on ari's Ghostin'. also for those of you who were waiting for a dylan corbyn kiss, there you go. do they have a ship name? dylbyn? corlan? you choose. love ya💖