Chapter 22: Dusk Till Dawn

The sprinter van drove for about an hour until we approached a government building. The word Shelter was spray painted across the door.

"Alright, folks," Sheriff Beckham began. "Masks on, grab your belongings, and there will be an assistant at the door to help you get settled."

We did as told, and a nice lady took our stuff at the door. "We have a buffet in the cafeteria, and I will put all of your things in one large room upstairs. The sitting area is on your right."

"Fuck this," Jace said. "I'm not staying here with all these legal people. I'm out. Dylan, lets go."

"No can do, Jace," I retorted, grabbing Dylan's arm and lacing her fingers in mine. "Dylan is staying with us."

"Fine," he replied. "But when this is over, I'm coming back for you, Dylan." She didn't say anything, so he just left.

"Hallelujah!" Peyton exclaimed. "He's gone! Yippee!"

"Thank you, Corbyn," Dylan whispered as the rest walked into the cafeteria. "For always having my back."

"It's nothing, Dylan," I responded, kissing her forehead. "You'll never be alone, I'll be with you from dusk 'till dawn."

This shelter is really nice. Not as nice as the compound, but it's bigger. There are maybe a dozen other people there, and the building is big enough for each group have their own room. Peyton and Zach decorated our room with blankets and lights and stuff to make it feel more like home. Honestly, they did a great job.

A few days passed, and surprisingly, the snow made all of the smoke disappear. The Sheriff and all the government people did warn us not to go outside until the area had been cleared for 'raiders.'

"Folks, we're going to have to transfer you out of the area."

"What?!" I asked. "We can't stay here? Is something wrong?"

"The raiders are dying off slowly because of the snow and cold weather, but the air is still toxic. We still need to investigate how they turned. So, we're taking all survivors to some remote islands in the Pacific Ocean. We have no other option."

The same process of being moved; the plane landed in God knows where. Some remote island, huh?

We stepped out of the plane and of course, there was no smoke or snow. We inhaled deeply, relieved to breathe fresh air for once. It had been almost three weeks.

"Ladies and gentleman, welcome to our shelter for the next few days or so while the government takes care of their...issues."

Well, our location changed from dusk till dawn.

don't ask me what this chapter is cause i have no idea. thats it. also the IDBITC video slaps. i'm crying. love ya💖

~3~