Chapter 5 - Part 3

The cloth eventually begins to glow with a soft blue light, the morning sun has come, and the lantern has long burned out. Suddenly, there is a loud commotion, followed by a bang. The wagon is sent spiralling, I feel myself lifting into the air along with all the items inside.

Wilfrid pushes off the wall, hurling himself into me. Our bodies smash together, and he clings to me protectively. With each slide and twirl, he crashes painfully against the walls of the wagon. Pieces of wood snap off and twirl among the flying objects. Coming to an abrupt stop with a final slide, we crash. Slamming into Wilfrid's chest, I hiss. His arm goes slack, and I tumble off him with a groan.

Wilfrid's lays chest up beside me and unmoving. Twisting and tugging at my restraints, I try to free myself. His chest slowly rises and falls, and a moan rumbles from his lips. Relief washes over me, and I slump to the side, my cheek pressing into the wagon's ruins. Through the scattered boards of wood, several hooded figures race towards us.

"Wilfrid, wake up!" Panicking I tug at my bindings and they tighten, grinding against my bandages. Kicking Wilfrid's I cry out, "Wilfrid!" His limp body easily slides with my forceful shoves.

Rocks tumble down the hillside, where we had fallen from. "Wilfrid!" Kalen's screams echo from above.

The hooded men cross through the remains of the wagon. Wiggling away the debris digs into the small cuts across my body. "Help!" I cry out for Kalen. A painful cough rips through my aching chest that is slowly forming bruises. A hooded figure kneels in front of me, pulling out a dagger. The metal shines dully, and I scream, "Wilfrid!"

With a flip of his hood, the man reveals his familiar brown cropped hair. Bruised and cut flesh mares his tan skin. With a flick of his wrist, the dagger cuts through my ropes, freeing my hands.

Flinging myself forward, I wrap myself around his neck with a cry, "Tristan!"

He holds my head for the briefest moment of tenderness. His firm hold sends a calming sigh through me, I'm safe. Pushing me back, he holds my shoulders firmly. We stare into each other's eyes, memorizing one another since the absence.

"I need to get you out of here."

I nod. Following him towards the edge of the wagon's remains. A groan stills everyone, the men twist slowly towards Wilfrid's trembling body. Pushing himself up, his hands quack under his weight.

Thank god, he is alive.

The hooded men lunge forward, and I scream, "stop!"

Tristan tugs me back, and I watch them lift of their blades, mercilessly driving them down towards Wilfrid's still body. His eyes snap open, the intense blue swirling to life and he rolls out of the way. Wilfrid flings his bow off his back and twirls it around, using it as a staff against their thrusting daggers.

Dragged backwards, I scream, kicking to be closer to Wilfrid. My heart pounds with loyalty for the man littered in cuts after protecting me from our tumble. Tristan pulls me away from the obliterated wagon. Rocks tumble down the hill with a slide, drawing my attention away from the hooded men fighting Wilfrid. Kalen and his men skid down the hill. Reality catches up with me, and I twist away from them. Grabbing Tristan's hand we race from the scene and a hiss of metal clanks from behind us.

"Where are we going?"

"Out of here!" Squeezing my hand like a pulse, Tristan looks back at me, "Don't let go. There is a village nearby, Octavius will meet us there with the Northern Clan."

Exiting the forest, a thick grass scrapes at our legs. Blue skies fill my view like a beckon of freedom. Fresh air blasts towards us, and Tristan slides to an abrupt stop. His arm shoves out and catches me mid-stride. Dirt flutters off the cliff in front of me, and I gasp.