Chapter 8 - Part 1

Hooves clop against the dirt below, charging towards a shadow resting in the horizon. Fields full of crops and workers frame our sides, a dirt path guiding us forward. Farmers frightful eyes take in our massive parade. A new air of calm surges through Kalen, his confidence peeking over the night's ride.

"Where are we?"

"Elderham, its a large region surrounding the castle, we're coming up to one of the many towns." A sense of pride rolls from his lips.

Every other time we had come to a village, there was a danger, how is this town any different?

"What for?"

"A decent rest," he dismisses, an irritation trailing into his tone, "Do not talk to anyone and never leave my side. I don't need another incident because you're feeling brave."

Another incident? He considers what happened back in Faycliff a brave incident? I shiver with the thought of that man's touch. Was this the world that Tristan warned me of?

The town proudly stood before us, a wooden fence patrolled by soldiers, twists my stomach with memories. Unconsciously, I cling to Kalen, feeling far out of my understanding of the world. The soldiers part for our horses and we slow to a trot. Riding right through like they knew the place, my jaw hung open taking in every detail. Crowds of people, scurry out of the proud steps of the horses. Doubling in height these buildings cast a massive shadow throughout the streets, a calm under the scorching sun.

Trotting up behind what looks to be a tavern, we enter a stable. Kalen drags me with him, and I hesitate. I can't go back to a tavern, not again. With a twist of his wrist, Kalen sends me spiralling into a wall. I groan smashing into the smooth bricking. Caging me with his body, he presses his forehead to mine, and I'm left frozen. His eyes show nothing, the coldness sucking the air from my lungs.

"I'm more aware of your motives than I let on. You want to prance around and try to find the Northern Clan, that's fine, I'll oblige to your little delusions. Just know, I will drag your ungrateful arse out of any situation." His threat ringing in my ears and he drags me behind him into the tavern.

Wilfrid chuckles behind me, my frantic expression is amusing to the bunch of men. All of them watch me with curiosity, almost like I'm questioning my safety among them. Kalen drags me right beside him, to the front counter. In the corner behind the bar is a large man resembling Octavius and I drop my head in guilt. Slamming his hand down on the table, Kalen effectively wakes the man with a start.

"I'll be needing rooms," he instructs.

"Not happening tonight, buddy, we are all booked," the man grumbles, realizing this is a waste of his time.

Kalen pulls out the dagger from earlier placing it on the table. I finally get to see the details of the carvings, scrolling all around the plate engraved with the crest of a mountain. A small stain of blood tints the tip of the blade. The blood I had drawn from my attacker.

"Is that so?" Kalen confidently corrects the man. I roll my eyes at Kalen's boldness.

The man's eyes widen, "General Kalen, forgive me. I'll arrange for accommodations immediately." He rushes over to his book flipping through the pages. He looks up noticing the men with us. "It will only be one room, sir. Could I offer your companions the first drink on the house?" The nervousness in his voice worries me. What kind of reputation did Kalen have here?

"That's very kind of you, I'm sure my men will be spending a great deal of time at your bar tonight," Kalen encourages the man's behaviour. Glancing down, he realizes I'm staring at him. "If only you could behave like that," he whispers cheerily.