Chapter 21 - Part 2

Stepping down onto the grass, arrows fly with bursts of strength and speed ahead of us. Whirling through the air, the arrows pierce the targets with certainty, and the girls cheer ecstatically. Walking behind the lords, each one gives me an eager glance. A shiver runs through me, they all desire to use me, and the thought terrifies me. Even this Lord Charles as kind as he wants me for one purpose.

A smiling face of familiarity relaxes me. Lord Henry brightly beams my way, with a wave. He looks happy having Gabriel as his instructor. Gabriel smacks his hands, forcing him to focus on his bow again. A small giggle slips from my lips. Stopping for a minute, Charles and I watch as Gabriel corrects Henry's posture.

"Is he any good?" I ask in a whisper.

Charles nods. "Yes, but the Mountain Blades are better. A few more lessons with that mercenary and Lord Henry will be competing with the rest of them."

"I'm slightly jealous," I smirk more to myself.

Charles looks at me perplexed and glances at the two men, they push each other playfully fighting over something. "Are you interested in Lord Henry?"

"Oh no," I wave my hands in shock. With a bright smile, I look up to the man beside me his eyebrows furrowed with confusion. "I asked Kalen to teach me. Yet here I am sipping tea and Henry is getting the lesson."

"You've already chosen, haven't you?" I glance at him in confusion but ignore his question, and I focus back on Henry. His arrow flies with precision and pierces the target dead center. The girls cry out into hysterics, and I jump up clapping eagerly. Gabriel and Henry glance back offering victorious smiles towards us. Charles leans slightly closer to me, and he continues. "I'll never win against them, will I?"

I sigh. "Who?"

"The Mountain Blades, you're in debt to them for bringing you here," he states with distaste.

Anger boils inside me, how can he think this! His focus is distantly lost, staring straight ahead. Crossing my arms, I glare at him. He thinks he knows me. "Let's get one thing straight here," I snap, and he turns with wide eyes, "I was taken against my will."

His hand touches my arm tenderly. "Princess Claire, you could be happy here with me. I could give you a life you never had, with my education I could rule for us. You need only be lavished in your birth right's fortune." He takes my hand with new found desperation and hope. "Be my wife, please."

I step away from him disgust etched into my face, his touch is like fire. He reaches out again, and I screech, "Don't touch me!"

"Princess Claire!" His hiss is full of reprimanding.

In a flash, Gabriel slides between us, shoving Charles away. "Back off!"

"Gabriel," I hum in disbelief.

A hand touches my shoulder, and I jump spinning around. Henry looks at me with a sad smile. "Easy princess," his arm is out directing me away, "come this way."

"You swine!" Charles hisses over Gabriel. "Of course, anyone can steal the crown if they whore themselves to the Mountain Blades!"

Leaning into his touch, I sigh guilty. His arm wraps around mine, and we support each other leaving behind the disgruntled Charles. "Henry, I'm sorry," I tremble with regret. I am not strong enough to do this, and I made a big scene.

"Don't worry," he rubs my shoulder, "there is always another day ahead."

Henry has become undeniably loyal us, the only man among us who doesn't seek the crown. Tightly, he holds me upright as we walk. His secrets screeched to all with slanderous accusations, and yet I'm the weak one with my legs threatening to let me stumble. Each step we talk, I feel weaker, and curious observers judging from all around us. The archery game is all but forgotten, but Kalen is unaffected and continues to play archery. With Wilfrid by his side, expectantly waiting for me to be delivered to him. Nicholas stands by their side, his bow lowered, and he glares to Henry with jealousy thickly shining through his gaze.